Skiing through Velska dolina

Skiing through Velska dolina

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.36060°N / 13.81460°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium hard ski tour
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You can combine this tour with other approaches (see the main page), here as starting point Vodnikov dom, 1815m will be taken.

You reach Vodnikov dom from Bohinj (Voje valley) or through Krma valley and over Bohinjska vratca (Pass), 1979m.

Route Description

Vodnikov dom, 1815m stands on a beautiful terrace above Velo polje. So you first ski 115m down and there proceed over the flat bottom of Velska dolina (valley) towards NW. As you ascend the valley, you slowly gain altitude and turn leftwards, so finally your direction is west. On around 1900m in winter and spring often trails turn also right, through a steep couloir. Don't follow them, just proceed by the valley. The ski route is marked by high marks of Triglav ski route. On the upper part of the valley you will see the edge of Hribarice pass. Approach it and ascend over a steep slope (medium hard for skiing) on the plateau.

To ascend the summit, you can follow the east ridge, or, easier, proceed over the plateau till a shallow valley, falling from between both peaks of Kanjavec. Ascend through the valley on the main ridge and to the summit (possible with skis).

You ski down by the same route or you can choose any other.

Essential Gear

Normal equipment for tour skiing.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KanjavecRoutes