Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Feb 21, 2006 6:46 pm - Hasn't voted

different organisation?

Before you spend too much time on the page, I think it would be much better organised by breaking it down into separate pages for the Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, Emigrant Wilderness, and Hoover Wilderness. (I was actually planning on creating the latter as part of the restructuring of the Eastern Sierra page, to complement the Ansel Adams and John Muir Wilderness pages).

I would then keep the Sonora Pass area page fairly brief, describing things like when to climb, weather, the relative location of the surrounding wilderness areas, etc. (In fact, with good pages for the surrounding wilderness, I wonder if a separate Sonora Pass page is really even needed any more...)

btw, it's only the road to Kennedy Meadows that opens around the end of April. the pass itself tends to open a few weeks later.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Feb 22, 2006 3:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: different organisation?

Hi Matthew. I've had similar thoughts about the best way to structure the Sonora Pass Area. There are pros and cons to the way you described. On the down side, I'm not sure that there are enough trailheads and peaks to justify separating the wilderness areas. If we do, each one will be rather small.

If we keep the current structure, ie all the trailheads and nearby peaks along Hwy 108 are covered under the Sonora Pass Area, you could include the Sawtooth / Matterhorn area and the southern half of the Hoover Wilderness as part of the Eastern Sierra Logistical Center. (That area is certainly too far to be considered part of the Sonora Pass.) The downside is that we'd end up splitting Hoover in half.

The basic argument in my mind is, do we split it according to geographic region, or by wilderness boundaries. Right now I'm leaning a bit towards the former, but I'm a huge believer in consensus. I think we should include others in the discussion. That's what the Taxonomy forum is for, right? I'll post a message there.

BTW, I've been to Kennedy Meadows a number of times for the opening of trout season the last weekend in April, and the pass has been open quite a few times. I think they like to open it for that event, but often the snow is too heavy.

Cheers,

George

thebeave7

thebeave7 - Mar 16, 2006 5:26 am - Voted 10/10

Cool

Nice start. Definately could use some more pics, I'll see what I can dig up. I'll also see if I can add a bunch of the trailheads in the Emigrant as I've been out of most of them. I was pleasantly surprised to find this page.
Eric

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 2, 2006 3:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool

Eric thanks for the vote and for the contributions. I changed jobs recently and had to put this on the back burner for a little while.

I attached all of my photos (quite a few) for this area. It would be great to add the additional trailheads if you are familiar enough with them to do that.

Most of the Sierra range is grouped into Wilderness Areas and I am inclined to convert this page into the Emigrant Wilderness Area. I think Matt would like to sponsor a page for the Hoover W.A. We can make a third page for Carson-Iceberg. Would do you think about that?

thebeave7

thebeave7 - Jun 13, 2006 7:20 pm - Voted 10/10

New Additions

I've been crazy busy the past few weeks, but finally have a little down time to make some additions. I think it's a good start, just needs more info. I've already added two more trailheads and should be adding a few more in the coming week. I'm not too familiar with the Carson-Iceberg so I wouldn't be much help there. I honestly think it's ok to leave it as the Sonora Pass region, since this area is somewhat seldom visited in general I dunno if all those wilderness areas need their own page. Thanks for starting this up.
Eric

QuailBS - Jun 14, 2006 12:02 am - Voted 10/10

Very Nice!

Sonora pass and Emigrant wilderness is probably my favorite area in the Sierras. Nice work. Also, whats the highest point in teh Emigrant Wilderness? Looking at a map, the pass above High Emigrant lake looks quite high, and we climbed it a few years ago on a weeklong trip through there.

tslater

tslater - Oct 7, 2009 11:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Guidebook for area

Good overview guidebook for area is
"California Road Trip - A climber's guide to Northern California",
available at
Maximuspress.com or slatervision.com (table of contents there also)

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Sonora Pass Area' main page