South Arete, Sass de Stria

South Arete, Sass de Stria

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Hiking, Flora, Informational, Scenery, Panorama

A Popular Route

Jan leading the South Arete on Sass de Stria
Jan leading the South Arete on Sass de Stria
It was a fine day, early August in the Dolomites, which is the peak holiday season in the area, so it was no surprise to find others with the same idea as us: climbing the south arete of Sass de Stria. There was a party on the first pitch, others were waiting their turn to start. The forecast was good, it's not an extremely long route, and the descent is a walk down, so we had nothing to worry about and joined the queue.

Before long, a few climbers came down because one of their party got more than expected. After that, the short queue soon got moving.

Alpenrose
Alpenrose
Kidney vetch (Antyllis vulneraria subspecies alpestris)
Kidney vetch


History

The area around Sass de Stria was strategically very important in the first World War. There are fortifications still visible all over the mountains, including on the north side of Sass de Stria itself. The normal route (which we descended) partly leads through a maze of fortifications and trenches. Interesting to see it now, but it must have been hell for those deployed here, especially in winter.

Panorama from high on Sass de Stria, spanning from Cinque Torri to Averau
Panorama from high on Sass de Stria, spanning from Cinque Torri to Croda Negra



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.