South Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.78190°N / 110.7729°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to Hanging Canyon and Lake of the Crags you must take any number of unmarked trails that head to the west from the valley trail between String Lake and Inspiration Point. Heading up you can see Ribbon Cascade and the entrance to Hanging Canyon. The trail does some switchbacks to the north of Ribbon Cascade and heads through a few boulder fields with cairns. The trail then climbs to the north shore of Ramshead Lake, over another boulder field, and to Lake of the Crags. Stay on the north shore.

Route Description


From the narrow section of Lake of the Crags, head uphill at an angle along the boulders and talus into the coulior. There are lots of different options, and lots of confusing couliors. Head up and to the left.

After arriving at a sloped, broad ledge after the first short scramble, look for a user trail. This trail is defined enough to take to all the way to near the summit towers to a col overlooking Paintbrush Canyon. Watch for two sets of cliffs, one with a rock perched on the edge, and another that leads to the summit ridge. If you see these two distinct cliffs on your east, you are on the right track.

After arriving at the col, it is a short but exposed scramble to the summit.

Essential Gear


Day hiking gear. There is plenty of water up to Lake of the Crags.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.