South Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.16688°N / 109.65179°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.1 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

When filled with snow, Mount Woodrow Wilson's South Couloir sticks out like a sore thumb for miles along the approach to upper Titcomb Basin. This inset, highly aesthetic couloir splits the peak's impressive south face down the middle and simply begs to be climbed.

Alpenglow on Mount Woodrow WilsonApproaching Mount Woodrow Wilson from Titcomb Basin

When To Climb

Conditions in the couloir vary greatly throughout the spring and summer and from year to year. In the last week of July 2009 the couloir was badly melted out at the bottom and contained rotten snow and a bit of ice higher up. A brief report from some skiers indicates exposed rock and bad snow in May 2007. However, a friend reports finding fantastic snow conditions the first week of July many years ago.

Sphinx Glacier

To reach Sphinx Glacier from upper Titcomb Basin head north up a gully and then continue northwest, north, and then northeast on easy and moderate snow slopes as shown on the map below. Although Bonney & Bonney state that crevasses must be negotiated on Sphinx Glacier, we found them to be completely snow-filled in late July.

South Couloir RouteSouth Couloir Route


Mount Woodrow Wilson from Sphinx GlacierMount Woodrow Wilson from Sphinx Glacier


South Couloir

From Sphinx Glacier Mount Woodrow Wilson's South Couloir is more than obvious. Climb up it for several hundred feet to an airy notch just east of the summit. In spring and early summer this is a straightforward and enjoyable snow climb. Later in the summer the couloir begins to melt out exposing loose rock and nasty rubble. If conditions or comfort levels warrant, protect with pickets or by placing rock pro in the couloir walls. We found several established anchors but needed to replace the webbing.

South Couloir from Sphinx GlacierSouth Couloir


Mount Woodrow Wilson s South CouloirClimbing the South Couloir


In very late July the bottom of the couloir was melted out and we were forced to begin on rotten low 5th class rock. I don't recommend climbing the route under these conditions; our group contained some steadfast peakbaggers who really wanted to reach the summit.

First pitch in the South CouloirMelted out section of the South Couloir


Once you reach the top of the couloir the summit is very near. Climb west up about 10 feet of 5.easy rock to reach easier ground above. From here its a short, straightforward scramble to the summit. Admire the incredible views!

Summitting Mount Woodrow WilsonClimber approaching the summit


Titcomb Basin ViewView from the summit

Essential Gear

Necessary gear is very condition dependent, but I recommend crampons, an ice axe, at least one 50 or 60 meter rope (though the pre-existing anchors were clearly set up for two), a light alpine rack, pickets and webbing.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.