South Lake to Bishop Pass Trail

South Lake to Bishop Pass Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.11304°N / 118.54686°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview






Timberline Lake
 
Trail to Bishop Pass
 
Route topo
 


 
Section of the trail
 
 
Snow corridor
 
 
Trailside attractions
 

Commonly known as "Bishop Pass Trail" this is the most popular route to access Dusy Basin and the easiest way to climb Mount Agassiz. Bishop Pass Trail is, however, much more than that. It's truly one of the most scenic trails for day hikers, campers and folks with a fishing rod. When the temperatures in the Owens Valley soar to 100+ degrees, Bishop Pass Trail become a destination of choice. The trailhead is nearly 10,000 feet with a dozen lakes within a few hours of hiking distance.

Round trip distance from South Lake to Bishop Pass is about twelve miles with an elevation gain of about 2200 feet.




Mt.Goode on the right...
 
Mount Goode
 
creek crossing
 

 
Spearhead Lake & Long Lake
Spearhead Lake and Long Lake
 
Trailside attractions
 
 
Mount Agassiz
Mount Agassiz

Route Description and points of Interest:

Start your hike some twenty miles west of the town of Bishop on Highway 395, California. South Lake, at an elevation of 9750 feet, has two large parking lots and several smaller parking areas. There are bathroom facilities and bear lockers here. The views of the high Sierras will immediately impress you. The most prominent peaks viewed from South Lake are Mount Gilbert and Hurd Peak. Another point of interest is the wooden dam that created South Lake.


The trail from South Lake drops down a few dozen feet paralleling the shore line, then it begins to slowly gain altitude as it enters the forested area. You will lose the sight of the lake for a while until it crosses a footbridge at the inlet into South Lake. Your next landmark is the intersection with Treasure Lakes Trail, at 10170 feet. Stay left and continue toward Bishop Pass. Your next landmark is the intersection with Marie Louise Lake trail at an elevation of 10, 410, and shortly after the junction with Bull Lake Trail at 10,638 feet.


getting a horse ready...
 
Wild flowers at nearly 12000 feet
 
One of many bridges
 

 
Bishop Pass Trail
 
 
Point 12,689
 

After about an hour you reach the next major lake along Bishop Pass Trail. This is Long Lake at 10,725 feet. The views of Mount Goode become breathtaking. The junction with Ruwau Lake is next, then you pass by Spearhead Lake that is almost connected to Long Lake. Your next stop is the drainage from Timberline Lake where you will have to hop on many rocks to cross the creek. This creek crossing is after you make a sudden turn to the right. As you hike toward your next objective, Saddlerock Lake, you will notice a pyramidal mountain to the right and up the valley. This is point 12,689.


Continuing on the trail past Saddlerock Lake and reaching Bishop Lake, you may find yourself walking through deep corridors of consolidated snow made for pack horses passage until middle of July. Past partially frozen Bishop Lake you get a perfect view of Mount Goode and Mount No Goode together. The southeast slopes are the most common route taken to climb Mount Goode. Continuing toward Bishop Pass you will have to hike through a rough patch covered by a huge rock slide in 2008. The trail has been repaired and a new and safer trail is in the process of being constructed. At this point the trail switch backs up a very steep and unlikely slope. Past this steep section it's a short hop to Bishop Pass, Mount Agassiz to the east and Dusy Basin directly to the south. Have fun.



Long Lake
 
Hurd Peak on the left...
 
Mount Goode
 


How to get there:

From the town of Bishop, California, on Highway 395 take Highway 168 west toward the Sierras. After about twelve miles you will see a sign for South Lake. Turn left here and continue for another six miles to South Lake. The trailhead starts to the left of the restrooms.

Trail workers
 
Shooting Stars along the trail
 
Trail workers
 



Essential Gear

A good fitting pair of boots, an emergency bag with a flash light, sun screen, Mosquito repellent.

External Links

Mount Agassiz

Mount Gilbert

Hurd Peak


Mount Goode



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
fossana

fossana - Aug 6, 2010 11:36 am - Voted 10/10

more peaks for the list

Cloudripper southern routes on: Winchell Thunderbolt Starlight N Pal Polemonium Sill Also, bear boxes and restrooms at the trailhead. No parking fee.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Aug 8, 2010 9:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: more peaks for the list

I think the best way to climb the peaks on your list is from Palisades Glacier.

fossana

fossana - Aug 9, 2010 1:01 am - Voted 10/10

Re: more peaks for the list

Depends on which route. The U-notch/V-notch, the E Arete of Winchell, and the Swiss Arete are all accessed via Palisade Glacier. The SW Chute is the most common route up T-bolt and is accessed from the Palisade Basin side (Bishop Pass approach). Also, there are some interesting and infrequently climbed routes on the southern side of Winchell.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Aug 9, 2010 9:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: more peaks for the list

I thought we were talking about peaks not routes. In any case, peaks, routes, or routes up peaks, I'd still stick to my original comment.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.