South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.51600°N / 114.576°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To approach the south ridge route from Hailey, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for roughly 3-4 miles until reaching a turnoff for clearly marked, Deer Creek Road.

Follow this paved road through a small subdivision and then across a large farm. Shortly before reaching Clarendon Hot Springs, Deer Creek turns to a good gravel road. After passing the hot springs, (closed to the public), the road turns to dirt but remains quite good.

Follow the never-ending and winding dirt road to the Deer Creek Trailhead near the base of Buttercup's eastern slopes. The mile is a little more rough but easily passed by any vehicle.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:8.5-9
  • Total Elevation Gain:3,000'
  • Class:II

    From the Deer Creek Trailhead, hike approximately 1 mile until reaching a fork at Curran Gulch Trail. Take the Curran Gulch Trail and immedietely cross Deer Creek which can be quite traicky if there is high water.

    Follow the trail around 2.5 miles until it crosses Buttercup's southern slopes. Leave the trail and scramble up the south ridge on rotten talus occasionally following a faint climbers trail. Any obstacles are easily avoided on the east or climbed via Class III scrambling.

    Essential Gear


    No essential technical gear required. This is remote and confusing country and bringing a local map is a must!

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.