South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.47251°N / 111.21546°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Ridge is a nice alternative to the conventional West Slopes route. Much better views and potentially less elevation gain, but longer mileage here.

Getting There

From Joe Valley Rd, take marked turnoff towards Indian Creek CG, but instead of turning left into the CG at a T-intersection half-mile to the East, turn right (S). Stay left at the junctions. It's about 4 miles from the T-junction to the informal TH. If the road is too rough / sliipery for your vehicle, you can leave it various points. Hiking uphill along the poweline from the T-junction, and then cutting off-trail along a prominent ridge to Hill 10,728, cuts about half the distance to the TH compared to the jeep road (about 4 miles on foot from the T-junction to the top).

Route Description

Equestrian / hiking trail starts off the 4WD road in 2.1 miles from the summit, just East of the ridgeline. It immediately crosses to the forested West side of the ridge, then recrosses back to the East side in 1.5 miles from the summit, which comes into sight by then.

There is a perennial spring with water trough, right under the summit, at 39° 28.37'N, 111° 12.83'W, but with all the sheep dung just upslope on the summit plateau, I wouldn't use it as potable water.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.