South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.82720°N / 106.7172°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

South Ridge Route

Elevation Gain: 3,100'
Round Trip Distance: 10 miles
Difficulty: Class 2 - off-trail hiking and minor scrambling.

The south ridge provides relatively easy access to Little Agnes from the Mica Lake Basin and the Slavonia Trailhead.



Getting There

Follow the directions in the Getting There section of the Little Agnes page to the Slavonia trailhead.

Route Description

From the Slavonia Trailhead, follow the Gilpin Trail, #1161, to its intersection with the Mica Basin Trail, #1162. Take the Mica Basin Trail to Mica Lake and up to the saddle south of Little Agnes. Leave the trail and follow the south ridge to the summit ridge. Traverse the summit ridge to the summit proper.

See map.

South Ridge RouteSouth Ridge Route

Essential Gear

In the summer, basic hiking gear and the essentials are necessary. Typical Colorado weather can be expected, so start early to avoid lightning.

In the other seasons, Little Agnes may be difficult to reach, especially in winter and spring. This area gets hammered with snow and any climb towards this portion of the Park Range will be a significant undertaking with long approaches.

Little Agnes and the South Ridge from Mica LakeSouth Ridge from Mica Lake


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.