West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.82720°N / 106.7172°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log
Add External Links text here.

Overview

West Ridge Route

Elevation Gain: 2000' to 2700'
Round Trip Distance: 4 to 8 miles
Difficulty: Class 2 - Off-trail hiking and minimal scrambling

The west ridge provides a great hike from the Diamond Park area to the summit of Little Agnes while keeping the difficulty to basic off-trail hiking.

Summit of Little AgnesSummit of Little Agnes from West Ridge route

Getting There

Follow the directions in the Getting There section of the Little Agnes page to the Diamond Park trailheads.

There are several ways to get to Diamond Park, both walking and driving. It should be noted that not all of the roads may be accessible to the area.

Route Description

From the Diamond Park area, or the western slopes of Little Agnes, there are several ways to climb the mountain. From Diamond Park, follow the Mica Basin Trail to the saddle between Little Agnes and point 10,687'. From the saddle follow the west ridge to the summit. It should be noted that the Mica Basin trail did not seem to have much maintenance and may not be in condition for fast hiking.

Other options to access the west ridge exist from the western flanks of Little Agnes. This may be a more reasonable route if you drove FR 433. From the large, burned area of forest, head to a shoulder just south of point 10,687'. From there contour to the saddle between Little Agnes and point 10,687' and continue up the west ridge to the summit.

See map.

West Ridge Route MapMap of West Ridge route Options

Essential Gear

In the summer, basic hiking gear and the essentials are necessary. Typical Colorado weather can be expected, so start early to avoid lightning.

In the other seasons, Little Agnes may be difficult to reach, especially in winter and spring. This area gets hammered with snow and any climb towards this portion of the Park Range will be a significant undertaking with long approaches. However, the southwestern face of Little Agnes could offer excellent skiing given the right conditions.

Little Agnes from Mica Lake BasinLittle Agnes


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.