South Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.92440°N / 106.32°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow Getting There directions to reach the North Cottonwood trailhead at 9,880 feet. From the trailhead cross to the south of North Cottonwood Creek on a good bridge a few yards from the trailhead. Continue on the trail for 1.5 miles to a junction just after the trail crosses the creek back to the north side. Stay right (north) at the junction and continue on the trail into Horn Fork Basin. The trail continues to treeline at 11,600 feet. Several great campsites exist just below treeline.

Route Description


From treeline at 11,660 you can see Harvard at the north end of the basin. Mount Columbia's west slopes are to the right. The route is straightforward as it climbs into the basin and to Bear Lake. It is not necessary to go all the way to the lake. Stay right (east) of the lake and continue up to a basin just under Harvard's south slopes. Climb the western edge of these grassy slopes to reach the final boulders and Harvard's summit.

Essential Gear


No special gear or equipment is required.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2

djilk - Jul 14, 2005 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

As you reach the final pitch above 14,000', it is easy to lose the trail, especially if there are snowfields. To follow the standard route, stay west on or near the ridge. We meandered a bit to the east and achieved the notch in the ridge that is visible from the basin floor, then scrambled west to the summit, quite enjoyable -- and we avoided the snowfield.

djilk - Jul 14, 2005 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

Also the trail is strong and well marked with cairns beyond the Bear Lake turnoff -- this is a Class 1 trail climb until the last 400 vertical feet. Roach's route description would make it appear that there is routefinding before this, but it is no longer the case.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.