Southeast Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.60390°N / 119.8323°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Ebbetts Pass, hike 6mi north on the PCT until you come to the crossing of Pennsylvania Creek. Leave the trail here and head upstream, scouting the Southeast Face that looms above you to the right.

Route Description


The Southwest Face is a broad face of short pinnacles, cliffs, and numerous chutes. There are several class 2 chutes that one can choose from. All of these are horribly loose and sandy and frankly not a great deal of fun. You're best off choosing a chute requiring less bush-whacking upstream - these are the ones first encountered that rise up to the East Ridge. The only reason to climb these chutes is for expediency in reaching the summit. This is a much better route for descending rather than ascending.

Essential Gear


None required.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.