Southeast Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.83730°N / 107.7904°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Moderate Rock
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4 - 5.2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The best place to start the climb of South Lookout Peak is Clear Lake. From Silverton, Colorado take US 550 north for about 3 miles to a left turn for South Mineral Campground. Take this good dirt road for 3.5 miles to a well-maintained 4x4 road marked as the turn to Clear Lake. Follow this road to Clear Lake and an elevation of 11,940 feet. This is the start of the climb.



Route Description


From Clear Lake follow a light climber's trail northeast towards the ridge running southeast from the summit. Once the ridge is gained the light trail quickly fades. Follow the ridge, dropping down when necessary, until the south summit is visible above you. Traverse around the false southern summit on extremely loose and exposed rock until you reach a small gully leadind up towards the summit. This section is the crux of the climb. Once up the small gully it is a relatively easy scramble to the summit.

The round trip is only about 2.5 miles and 1,400 vertical feet.

Essential Gear


When snow persists, an ice axe is necessary. A rope, a few slings, and a few nuts would be nice for protection.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.