Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.12330°N / 107.1689°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Total Distance: Approximately 7-8 miles.

Start at the trailhead on the west side of Sheriff's Reservoir and take the trail heading SW up the meadowed slope. The trailhead's coordinates are: 40.1483N, 107.1392W. Follow the trail to the top of the ridge; note that the trail marked on the topo is incorrect. The trail should intersect the ridge at approximately: 40.1330N, 107.1565W. There are some possible campsites in the valley you just came up and on top of the ridge.

From the ridge, continue to follow the good trail to the top of the pass at 40.1177N, 107.1519W. Leave the trail here and follow the ridge west.

NOTE: The coordinates I give in this description are not from a GPS unit. I have used the coordinates from Topozone to aid in describing the route.

Route Description

Once off the trail, follow the ridge west. There are numerous game trails and climbers trails that fade in and out up the ridge. As you approach the peak, the route will steepen and become rocky. The right side of the ridge begins to cliff out at this point and gentler terrain is found to the climber's left. Near the top, the peak's summit ridge and the first false summit appear. Scramble onto the top ridge and walk the narrow, rocky ridge to the NW end and the summit. The ridge is a blast to walk, but take care for the cliffs tug at your heels!

Essential Gear

Basic hiking gear. Could get technical in the winter.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.