Southwest Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.15050°N / 120.8132°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic snow/talus/scree
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starting at the Phelps Creek trailhead hike 3.2 miles to Leroy Creek and cross the creek. On the north side of the creek the abandoned Leroy Creek trail is easily found. It climbs eastwardly beside the creek and at about two miles enters the upper Leroy Creek basin directly under Seven Fingered Jack and the east slopes of Mt. Maude.

Route Description


Starting in the meadowy upper Leroy Creek basin at about 6,000', ascend the prominent gully NE toward the Maude-7FJ col. At the large bench (6,800') turn north toward the obvious snow couloir. Either ascend this couloir, or if preferred, just before entering the narrow portion of the couloir there is an easy ramp to the left toward the SW ridge. The couloir leads to a higher point on the ridge. Ascend the ridge toward the leftmost point visible from the basin below. The summit is left of all the visible "fingers".

Essential Gear


An ice axe is mandatory if snow is present, or if you ascend the couloir. I recommend a helmet as well.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.