Southwest Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.15900°N / 105.695°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: easy class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starting at the Roaring Fork TH at 8,300-ft, follow the nice trail through the trees as it quickly begins a 1000-ft ascent up into the Roaring Fork Drainage. The trail will continue to parallel the Roaring Fork Creek for 2.3 miles until it reaches a flat area at 9,855-ft. At this point the trail leaves the Roaring Fork Drainage and starts a steep ascent for 1.2 miles and 1,333-ft up to the saddle that separates Mount Irving Hale from the gentle southwest slope of Hiamovi Mountain. The saddle is above tree line and you finally get your first views of the Lone Eagle Cirque and the remainder of the route to Hiamovi’s summit. This is also a great place to camp. I remember talking to Colonalpyat and we discussed if we were to ever come back that this spot would be a tremendous place to set up a tent and watch the sun set on the Lone Eagle Cirque.

Route Description


From the saddle leave the trail and start the leisurely hike through tundra up Hiamovi’s broad southwest slope. After about a mile the slope turns to stable talus and also narrows to a more defined ridge. Follow the ridge another .67 mile to the summit, bypassing a few minor false summits. The hiking to the summit is easy class 2 with no route finding difficulties.

Essential Gear


In an emergancy, always be prepared for an overnight stay.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.