Steinerne Stadt - City of Stone

Steinerne Stadt - City of Stone

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Bouldering, Hiking

Deep inside the Krottenseer Forst ...

In the eastern part of the Frankenjura a large forest is situated at the border of Franconia and Oberpfalz, the Krottenseer Forst. Here you can find some quiet difficult boulders to check your climbing abilities. Among others you can find "Action directe", one of the world most difficult routes (11/11+, 5.14d/5.15a).

Deep in this enchanted seeming forest is an area of boulders which looks like an abandoned city - the "Steinerne Stadt" or City of Stone.

On a cold an rainy day in January we made a short hike to the Steinerne Stadt and here is what we got: a bit of Middle Earth and a bit of the Brothers Grimm's fairy tale forest ...

I added some pics from the Weißingkuppe, a boulder formation near the Steinerne Stadt. It's the same forest, the same hiking way and the same romantic.


Getting there

Take the A9 from Nuremberg in direction Berlin up to the exit Plech. From there you will head to Neuhaus/Peg. In Neuhaus hold to the right where there are signs to Krottensee. You can also follow the (brown) signs to the cave "Maximiliansgrotte". In Krottensee head to the left where "Maximiliansgrotte" is announced again.

There are parking possibilites at the cave. From the parking follow the excellent marked hiking way with the green point. First you will come to the Weißingkuppe and after another 15 minutes you will reach the Steinerne Stadt.
Not so exciting but more efficient for climbers: just follow the forest road until the way with the green point branches off to the left ;o)


Climbing at the Steinerne Stadt

The Steinerne Stadt is not a natural conservation area. You can climb there but be aware that the routes start at VII/5.10c and end at a mere XI/5.14d! The belays are good but not perfect. You should know your abilities ... Have fun!!




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.