Stone Ponds - St Peters Gate

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.60700°N / 123.265°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an alternate, less used route up Mt Stone. The climb itself starts at the Stone Ponds on the east side of Mt Stone. There are two ways to reach the Stone Ponds: up Boulder Creek or from Upper Lena Lake.

Getting There

Take U.S. 101 to F.S. Road 25. Follow the signs to the Lena Lake Trail. For the Boulder creek approach continue on to the Putvin trailhead.

Approach

Boulder Creek approach:
This is a difficult route that requires good routefinding skills. Start on the Putvin Trail and hike up to the first of three large washouts. About 100 ft. before the washout climb straight up the mountainside to an abandoned logging road. Try to stay in the large old growth trees, where the terrain is slightly easier. Once you reach the logging road, follow it up the Boulder Creek valley. The road is overgrown with small trees, but there is a faint track down the middle. Immediately after you cross a wooden road bridge, turn left onto a way trail heading west. The trail climbs steeply and is sometimes marked with blazes and ribbons. After a while the tread disappears.Continue to climb up the valley, keeping well above the creek. After a while, you reach a gully. If the sides are too steep to descend, hike down until it is safe to cross. After this point stay as high as possible, crossing a few small boulder fields. Try to find the best route up the headwall cliffs. The cliffs are very brushy with loose timber. The lower of the two Stone Ponds is just above the headwall.
Road Bridge

Lena Lake Approach:
This is the easier approach to the Stone Ponds. Hike the Lena Lake trail to Upper Lena Lake. Take the Scout Lake way Trail from Upper Lena Lake. After Scout Lake Pass you will pass a tarn and a small pond turn left and go cross country south to a large meadow, where the Stone Ponds Way Trail is found. Follow this trail south to stone ponds.

Route Description

Looking Back
Looking Down

This route starts at the Stone Ponds. Head southwest up toward an obvious pass east of the summit of Mt Stone. This pass is called St Peters Gate. There are numerous ways to ascend through the basin. From the pass, descend slightly to route 1 and follow it to the summit.
Route to St Peters Gate
St Peters Gate

Essential Gear

Helmet
Ice axes and crampons early in season
Hiking Poles (if your knees dislike downhill on trail as much as mine do...)








If you have any more information on this route, feel free to add it. It would be very helpful.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.