Table Mountain, Columbia River Gorge

Table Mountain, Columbia River Gorge

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 45.69102°N / 121.98305°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 2, 2023
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

 

Overview

The 3417 ft Table Mountain rises to the north of Columbia River near Bonneville Dam in the state of Washington. This little peak comes with impressive statistics, its southeast face creates an 800 ft cliff making the mountain rise dramatically above the river which sits at near zero elevation. A hike to the summit of Table Mountain tuns out to be 17 miles roundtrip with 4300 ft of elevation gain (900 ft more than the elevation of the peak above sea level).

 

Private property blocks driving access to the base of Table Mountain. The usual starting point for the hike is at North Bonneville Trailhead on Washington Route 14. You will follow the Pacific Crest Trail up and down the forested hills 6.75 miles to reach a split in the trail at an elevation of 1750 ft. You can go up one way to the summit and down the other way. Both are very steep. The east path is mostly in the forest except for a boulder field 250 vertical feet tall and involves a small amount of elevation loss. The west trail is more in the open.

 

Just below the summit, you should follow a 0.25-mile spur trail to a viewpoint at the edge of the cliffs where you can get dramatic views of Columbia River Gorge, Bonneville Dam and Mt. Hood. The summit is a flat forested area however from the edge of the forest you will have dramatic views of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams as well as Mt. St. Helens in addition to other peaks.

 

Table Mountain & Mt. St Helens from airplane
Table Mountain & Mt. St Helens from airplane

 

Trip Report

 

 

 

 

Trailhead Elevation: 110 ft

Summit Elevation: 3417 ft

Hike Length: 17.0 Miles

Total Elevation Gain: 4300 ft

 

Left the vacation rental house in Dallesport, Washington around 4:35 AM (Sunrise 5:25 AM) and drove some 40 miles to North Bonneville Trailhead. Two cars were there, but I did not see any people until I was on my way back down the mountain. By the time I started my hike, it became 5:30 AM. Elevation was 110 ft.

 

Got on the trail which went into a beautiful forest going uphill until after 0.6 miles, it joined the Pacific Crest Trail.

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail

 

 

The trail went out of the dense forest into open areas. Although I started having views of the surrounding mountains, I became concerned about being under direct sunlight on the return leg of the trip when the high temperature was supposed to reach 90 degrees F. For the moment, however, I remained in the shade.

 

On Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail

 

After 2.4 miles at an elevation of 420 ft, the trail crossed a dirt road where Table Mountain came to view for the first time. The trail then went down 110 vertical feet toward Gillette Lake. I could see a couple of tents by the lake, but no one was there.

 

Table Mountain & Gillette Lake
Table Mountain & Gillette Lake

 

Crossed a creek over a bridge and the summit came to view again.

 

Table Mountain
Table Mountain

 

At 7:15 AM, 3.5 miles and 480 ft elevation, the trail went over a big bridge that crossed Greenleaf Creek.

 

Bridge over Greenleaf Creek
Bridge over Greenleaf Creek

 

Greenleaf Creek
Greenleaf Creek

 

I was then in a beautiful dense forest again. The early morning horizontal sunrays created an enchanted environment.

 

On Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail
On Table Mountain Trail

 

 

The going soon became steep. After making several switchbacks, continued in the forest until at 8:46 AM, 6.75 miles and 1750 ft elevation, I reached a signed split in the trail. Left said “Hard” and right said “Harder”. Took the right (east) path and followed it as it went very steeply up the forested slope.

 

Steep path in the forest
Steep path in the forest

 

The path then became overgrown, and I had to whack my way through the bushes until I found myself at a 2510 ft saddle out of the forest near the base of the cliffs of the summit.

 

Summit of Table Mountain from the 2510 ft saddle
Summit of Table Mountain from the 2510 ft saddle

 

Finally got a view of the Columbia River. The rocky Point 2692 ft seen on the right.

 

Columbia River and Point 2692 ft on the right
Columbia River and Point 2692 ft on the right

 

Began to follow a steep beaten path up the grassy slopes under the hot sun but when I looked at my GPS, I noted that I was going the wrong way. Went back down to the overgrown area and soon found the trail that kept going in the forest. Was happy to be out of the sun. The trail did a little downhill, then began to go up steeply until at an elevation of 2750 ft, it reached a boulder field.

 

Bottom of boulder field
Bottom of boulder field

 

The boulder field continued up to 3050 ft elevation where the trail entered an overgrown area again. Looking down at the boulder field.

 

Top of boulder field
Top of boulder field

 

At 10:30 AM, 8.25 miles and 3400 ft elevation, the trail went out of the forest and reached a signed junction. Got a great view of Mt. Rainier in the distance.

 

Zoomed view of Mt. Rainier
Zoomed view of Mt. Rainier

 

Turned right and followed a 0.25-mile-long spur trail downhill over a beautiful meadow where I had wonderful views of Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam.

 

Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam
Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam

 

I then reached the edge of the cliffs. Columbia River Gorge to the southeast.

 

Columbia River, looking SE
Columbia River, looking SE

 

Mount Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam.

 

Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam
Mt. Hood, Columbia River and Bonneville Dam

 

Looking southwest.

 

Columbia River looking SW
Columbia River looking SW

 

Video from the edge of the cliffs.

 

 

Went back to the junction then continued the main trail over a meadow, Got a glimpse of Mt. Adams.

 

Mt. Adams, near the summit of Table Mountain
Mt. Adams, near the summit of Table Mountain
Meadow near the summit of Table Mountain
Meadow near the summit of Table Mountain

 

At 11:00 AM, 8.8 miles and 3417 ft, I reached the summit of Table Mountain which was a flat forested area but had plenty of open spots where I could get good views east, north and west. Looking west at Columbia River Gorge.

 

Columbia River from the summit of Table Mountain
Columbia River from the summit of Table Mountain

 

Mt. Adams 43 miles to the northeast.

 

Mt. Adams from the summit of Table Mountain
Mt. Adams from the summit of Table Mountain

 

Mt. Rainier (82 miles) and Mt. St. Helens (37 miles) to the north.

 

Mounts Rainier & St. Helens from the summit of Table Mountain
Mounts Rainier & St. Helens from the summit of Table Mountain
Zoomed view of Mt. Rainier from the summit of Table Mountain
Zoomed view of Mt. Rainier from the summit of Table Mountain
Zoomed view of Mt. St. Helens from the summit of Table Mountain
Zoomed view of Mt. St. Helens from the summit of Table Mountain

 

Video from the summit.

 

 

Found a nice cool place in the shade to eat and enjoy the views.

 

Summit of Table Mountain
Summit of Table Mountain

 

Left at 11:30 AM and began to go down the west trail, which was not forested exposing me to the hot sun, but I had good views of Mt. Hood. After 15 minutes, I ran into a group of 4 ladies walking up. Those were the first people I saw all day.

 

Mt. Hood and Columbia River
Mt. Hood and Columbia River

 

Mt. Hood and Columbia River
Mt. Hood and Columbia River

 

Mt. Hood and Columbia River
Mt. Hood and Columbia River

 

 

In some places, the trail went down very steep loose rock slopes. I thought that was supposed to be the “less hard” trail. Looking back at the boulder field and the viewpoint below the summit.

 

Boulder field and view point below the summit
Boulder field and view point below the summit

 

To the east, what looked like a cloud of smoke was rising into the sky. I sure did not want to get stuck in a fire. Later I found that was the so called “Tunnel 5 Wildfire”.

 

Smoke from wildfire
Smoke from wildfire

 

Continuing down.

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail

 

Was glad to be back in the forest out of the burning sun.

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail

 

At 12:50 PM and 10.3 miles, I reached 1750 ft where the trail had split. Sat there to rest. After that, I ran into a few people who were walking up. View from an open area.

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail

 

At 2:20 PM and 13.5 miles, I was at the bridge over Greenleaf Creek. Went by the creek and dipped my head, arms and legs in the water to cool down, then had a short break.

 

Greenleaf Creek Bridge
Greenleaf Creek Bridge

 

At the next creek, I got myself soaked again, then was under the sun near Gillette Lake going up the slope. View of Table Mountain again.

 

Table Mountain & Gillette Lake
Table Mountain & Gillette Lake

 

Continued under the sun until I was in the forest again. Ran into a few more hikers.

 

Table Mountain Trail
Table Mountain Trail

 

Reached the trailhead at 4:20 PM and 17.0 miles. That was a great hike. After driving toward the rental home on Washington Route 14 for 15 miles, I reached a roadblock. They said the road was closed due to fire. Had to drive 15 miles back to cross the bridge into Oregon and reach home the longer way.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Table MountainTrip Reports