Viewing: 1-14 of 14
BigLee

BigLee - Aug 29, 2007 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice page

Nice page and area. It's not a route though and I'd either change it to an area/range or an associated object.

Nelson

Nelson - Aug 30, 2007 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Sure. This was submitted back in SPv1 days when route was the only option. In fact, back then I recall wondering if this page was even appropriate since it is not really a climbing route. Times have changed. I decided to post it since there are several days of roped travel and abseils involved, and there wasn't much information out there about this amazing area. Not to mention the SP points.

I'll drop the word "Trek" off the title, and turn it into an area.

BigLee

BigLee - Aug 30, 2007 1:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice page

Just what I was thinking ;) Might be worth making this page the parent in relation to Mera instead of vice versa as it is right now. That way if someone puts up another mountain page for a Hongu Valley peak they can attach it to this one.

Nelson

Nelson - Aug 31, 2007 12:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Yep, that makes total sense, of course. Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

pijiu

pijiu - Dec 7, 2007 10:12 am - Voted 10/10

Wonderful page!

Hi Nelson. Very informative page.
It would be interesting to have more information about your experience of crossing between Barun and Hongu (did you have porters/guide, any problems with them because of gear etc.).

Nelson

Nelson - Dec 8, 2007 12:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wonderful page!

Thanks much pijui. I really enjoyed your Minya Konka trip report and photos.

I should put together a TR about the crossing between Barun and Hongu. It is a wild journey. There were four of us in the group, plus a guide, Sherpas and porters. Could not have done it without those guys, of course. The outfitter equipped them well: down clothing, sleeping bags, crampons, etc. Still one succumbed to HACE after we crossed the West Col. He seemed to respond to oxygen and dexamethasone treatment. The Sherpas struggled to evacuate him over the Amphu, but that involved ascending 600 meters before descent. He died on the Khumbu side at about 4800 m. He had been with us all the way from Tumlingtar. A tragedy. Well, maybe I'll write it all up some day.

I look forward to more post from you. Welcome aboard.

pijiu

pijiu - Dec 10, 2007 2:07 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Wonderful page!

Tragic indeed. It looks like it's really a serious undertaking... I'd love to see the pictures though.

I'm glad you enjoyed my TR, I'll try to write some more very soon.

suape01

suape01 - Jan 17, 2008 4:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wonderful page!

Hi, IThis is Pedro form Spain Madrid. I have planed do the Mera Peak-Hongu-AmphulaptsaLa-Island Peak. In 27 dais activity the next April. Is April the best option? In the TR Hongu-Amphulaptsala we can find snow ? Thanks.
Pedro

suape01

suape01 - Jan 17, 2008 4:30 am - Hasn't voted

Is April the best choice for do this.

Hi, IThis is Pedro form Spain Madrid. I have planed do the Mera Peak-Hongu-AmphulaptsaLa-Island Peak. In 27 dais activity the next April. Is April the best option? In the TR Hongu-Amphulaptsala we can find snow ? Thanks.
Pedro

Nelson

Nelson - Jan 17, 2008 11:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Is April the best choice for do this.

Hi Pedro. Thanks for your comments and good luck on your trip!

In my opinion the best months are April and late October or early November. So yes, April is good, it should be warmer than in October. Both times that I crossed the Amphu it was in early November. The first time there was no snow on the north side, but the second time we descended in snow, had to be more careful. In either case the descent down the north side requires care and good weather. We did have good weather - mostly clear and not much wind.

The weather always depends on your luck. Either time there can be big storms, but either time can be perfect also.

I have not been there since 2002, so I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Have a great trip. Nelson

suape01

suape01 - Jan 20, 2008 10:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Is April the best choice for do this.

Thanks Nelson: I read all your information in Summitpost and all the Foros about Hongu, Mera and Island. All are very clear for me. Now I'm talking with Skyline Treks & Expedition Pvt.company, by now for me appear Ok. Do you know this company? Or Do you have good profesional experiences with other trek companies ?
Thanks for sharing all your fantastic information.
Pedro

Nelson

Nelson - Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Is April the best choice for do this.

Hi Pedro. Sorry, I am not familiar with Skyline Treks. The company that I went with in 2002 was Arun Treks. They have changed ownership since I went with them, I think, but they were great, and probably still have some of the same Nepali staff. They do offer Mera - Amphu - Island.

Good luck!

suape01

suape01 - Feb 14, 2008 5:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Is April the best choice for do this.

Hi Nelson: Thanks for your information. Only one question "bynow" I'm thinking that in this trek I can have problems with my Digital Photo Camera ( Nikon CoolPix 5400 ) , Battery, Power to load the batterys. Have your experiences using this type of Digital Cameras with this temperatures? and Number of Days? Have places to reload the Batterys?
Thanks in advance.
Pedro

Nelson

Nelson - Mar 1, 2008 11:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Is April the best choice for do this.

Hi Pedro. Sorry for the delay in reply, I have been out of town. I have not used my digital camera in these temperatures. I had a film camera until just a couple of years ago and have not been out in *extended* cold temperatures since. I do know that on my Canon Rebel I can get more than 400 shots per charge if I am careful about using the LCD panel (don't use it much!)

When I was last in the Hongu in 2002 there was no place to charge batteries on the trek, you would need to carry enough or use a solar charger. If you post a message in the SP gear forum I think you will find people who have experience with these chargers, and can provide more information about this topic in general.

- Nelson

Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Return to 'The Hongu Valley' main page