Viewing: 1-17 of 17
vanman798

vanman798 - Jun 9, 2009 11:14 am - Voted 10/10

Wow

Looks like quite an adventure! Good job, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

I noticed your car in LCC that morning and I kept my eye on the Needle off and on during the day, but I guess I was too far off (doing the Red/White/Red/White) to spot you guys. From the top of White Baldy I did comment that it looked that the top of the Needle was melted out, and from what you say it was -- so how tough was that section?

marauders - Jun 9, 2009 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow

Just simply boulder hoping. It was steep, but easy scrambling. I'm jealous about the Red/White deal. Dustin was telling me about that route, which he had climbed the week before. Sounds like a fun day out.

snowbirdskier - Jun 9, 2009 11:20 am - Voted 9/10

Jealous

That looks like so much fun! Glad you had a good time!

Matthew Van Horn

Matthew Van Horn - Jun 9, 2009 11:22 am - Voted 10/10

Will get to it

Next year for sure...

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jun 9, 2009 5:06 pm - Voted 10/10

great pictures

and helpful in getting a feel for what the route involves.
I was relieved to hear to you didn't descent Coalpit, that sounds really treacherous this time of year. Even a month ago when I did North Thunder, we ruled out Coalpit. I'm thinking February and March is the time to do it.

marauders - Jun 10, 2009 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great pictures

Yeah, the efficiency of Coalpit is so tempting, but better safe than sorry. We need to ski Coalpit next March. What a ride that would be!

seanpeckham

seanpeckham - Jun 22, 2009 12:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: great pictures

Count me in for skiing Coalpit next year! I meant to this year, but schedule, partners, and conditions never converged.

apachedino

apachedino - Jun 10, 2009 5:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Fabulous Pics

I knew it was worth all the picture taking. Glad you lug that camera around because look what you get! Great day, it got me pumped and on monday I actually hit South Thunder from Bell's in an attempt to traverse over to North Thunder on that tasty looking ridge. Too bad the weather turned, we go rained on 3x, hailed on and snowed on, plus I got a sunburn! Crazy Utah weather.

x4wheeling

x4wheeling - Jun 10, 2009 6:16 pm - Voted 9/10

snow climb & ski run

this looks like a great snow climb as well as ski descent. i know how horrid the bush wacking at the bottom of Hogum can be. great photos and commentary. The spring thunderstorms always keep you on your toes.

highpeakskier

highpeakskier - Jun 10, 2009 11:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice TR

I was in that area during the winter, unfortunately the views were not so good that day, must do it again with better vis. It must have abeen a long walk out, even on skis the bottom of Bells seems to take forever.
Good Job!

Travis Atwood

Travis Atwood - Jun 15, 2009 2:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Work

Another fantastic trip report and your pics are incredible as usual! I'm glad you guys had a great time. I'll have to add this route to my list for next spring.

tannerpuma15

tannerpuma15 - Jun 17, 2009 1:59 am - Voted 10/10

Great Trip report

This looks like a lot of fun. I'll definitely have to do this route soon.

Allen

Allen - Jun 17, 2009 6:33 am - Hasn't voted

Snow

Looks like there is more snow than usual this time of the year?

marauders - Jun 18, 2009 10:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Snow

Yeah, there is. The snow totals this year were a bit over the average, and May/June temps have been under the average. Good combination!

stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Jun 17, 2009 9:23 am - Voted 10/10

phenomenal scenery!

thanks for sharing the experience :)
happy climbing!

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Jun 18, 2009 12:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Fine trip report/excellent photos

Like others, your report inspires the calendaring of this route for next spring. Your choice of Bells Canyon for the coming out party was a wise one. FYI, on Tuesday our little group hiked up Bells and climbed the couloir to the prominent notch between Lone Peak and Rocky Mouth Canyon Peak, and we then scrambled and snow-climbed to the top of Lone Peak. That couloir was not as steep, though, as the needle and only 850' of adventure. Thanks again.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 19, 2009 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Love it!

Great TR and photos! Looks like an awesome route. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'The Hypodermic Needle of the Wasatch (Photo Trip Report)' main page