The Sentinel

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.14431°N / 90.16703°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.3 - 5.11
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

This page contains descriptions for several routes in the Sentinel area of Mississippi Palisades State Park. The area between the Sentinel and the main wall behind the Sentinel is called the Quadrangle. This is probably the most popular climbing spot in the park. It can get crowded on summer weekends.

The routes can either be top roped or climbed traditionally. The Sentinel must be lead climbed first, as there is no other access to the top. However, there are 2 bolts and rings at the top of the north Sentinel with which to set a top rope anchor, and for rappelling.



1) The northwest outside corner of the Quadrangle is rated 5.6.
2) The north wall of the Quadrangle has a slight overhang and is rated 5.7.
3) The northeast inside corner of the Quadrangle is rated 5.6.
4) The inside corner crack in the center of the Quadrangle is rated 5.6.
5) The east face in the center of the Quadrangle has several slight overhangs and is rated 5.10.
6&7) There are several routes on the east face of the north Sentinel rated 5.3-5.4.
8) The north face of the Sentinel has a slight overhang and is rated 5.8.
9) The right side of the north face of the Sentinel is rated 5.9.
10) The large crack in the center of the Sentinel's west face is rated 5.9. After the ledge at 30ft, the route continuing up the west face is rated 5.8.
11) The overhanging crack near the southwest corner of the Sentinel is rated 5.11. After the ledge at 30ft the route continuing up the west face is rated 5.8.

(Click number to view photo.)

Getting There

See the main page for directions to Mississippi Palisades State Park.

The trailhead for the Sentinel is located just inside the south entrance to the park. Park on the right hand side of the road near the picnic /pavillion area. A trail sign points the direction to both the top of the bluffs (left) and bottom of the bluff (right). The hike to the bluffs is only about 1/4 of a mile.

Parking and park admission are both free. The pavillion has restrooms and a hand pump outside with potable water.

Essential Gear

Bring plenty of webbing to set top rope anchors (70ft per rope). Several people were lead climbing when I was there and they were using small-medium cams. Be sure to bring a climbing helmet as small rocks are frequently dislodged while climbing, particularly from the top of the bluffs which are a bit messy.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.