Viewing: 1-20 of 34
12
mvs

mvs - Sep 11, 2007 2:49 am - Voted 10/10

awesome!

Great to see a TR on this peak! Beautiful panoramas.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 11, 2007 11:54 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks a million

Thanks mvs. I really appreciate your kind words.

Apparently, however, you're the only one that thinks so.

This is an interesting comment on the new SP "featured pages" layout which now gives more prominence to mountain pages but continues to emphasise TR's. I spent over 12 hours writing and posting this TR for your one (but highly appreciated) vote. The route page for the Hinde took me half an hour to write and the same to post and has got 5 votes to date.

The current "featured pages" thread in the forum is arguing this point back and forth at the moment. But basically if no-one's voting for - or much more importantly even reading TR's - why are we bothering to put so much effort into writing them? And they are so much more work than a mountain or route page - particularly a 6 day trip like this one.

mvs

mvs - Sep 11, 2007 4:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanks a million

Wow, I totally understand your frustration. I've been lucky from a "feeling like my TRs are appreciated" point of view because I made the front page a lot. But I never thought to actually look at the numbers like you have. At the same time, I'm hearing from the most committed members of the site that the Mountain/Route pages are the most valuable.

I don't see it that way though the numbers show I have a minority view. A personal story of the climb is extremely valuable. I read a lot of TRs and am way smarter for it. Frankly, what am I going to do with a route description up until I've decided I'm going to climb it? But a TR with all it's (wonderful) subjectivity tells me about the mountain, the people who climbed it, and echos of their own knowledge and experience are conveyed in the actions they took. To me it's part of a larger story of humanity in the mountains...and I'm continually fascinated with that.

Yeah, ok, I don't read "Mt. Rainier via disappointment cleaver" TRs much anymore because I'm too familiar with that "story."

But a trip to the Golden Hinde! Man, that is cool. I always wanted to go there when I lived in Seattle. I never knew anyone who did. Sure, I had the route description in a book. But if I had read your TR and seen your pictures then it would move to the top of the list!

What seems so important to me is merely boring chaff to (most?) others. But I say to you, your time in writing this TR is not wasted. Going in there is an adventure, and therefore a Story. And it's Stories that got me into mountaineering. I read stories of adventure climbs, dreamed them, and finally undertook them. Route descriptions exist to be memorized at the base...it's the story that drove me up the trail for miles.

Sorry to overstate my point (I'll never get an award for understatement), but it's good to have your TR even if only a few people care. If some of them go in because of it, then you passed on a flame.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Sep 12, 2007 12:29 am - Voted 10/10

Great Report

MVS makes good points too and I agree with him. I've written long and involved reports that are seen by few, but those that do see them like them and benefit from them, or even better, were inspired to climb the mountain by them. That is ample reward enough for me for writing the thing.

Love your report on the Hinde. Beautiful area, (bigger than I thought) gorgeous island, a glorious mountain for sure that deserves to be king of the island and well displayed on SP, which you have done magnificently. Great photos, including ROUTE PHOTOS in your TR (excellent) and awesome scenic views. Superbly written (it's obvious you spent a ton of time on this report just by looking at the page) and you really do the mountain justice in your words, photos and TR layout. Congrats and thanks a ton. It was a great read! Anyone else that happens upon it will certainly come to the same conclusion.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 12, 2007 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Wow

Thanks Aaron. I also appreciate the time you took to respond so comprehensively to my forum posting.

I really do want to emphasise that that posting was not driven by disappointment at such a dearth of response. If people aren't interested in what I write or don't like it - fine - I accept that. But if, as the count I made seemed to indicate, people are simply much more interested in mountain pages, perhaps the elves and owners of SP might want to emphasise what people are interested in. Pointing this out was my only motive.

Votes/hits notwithstanding, I'm still going to post TR's if for no other reason than that my family and friends like them and SP provides a great layout engine.

If others get benefit from them too, as you indicate they should, then that's a wonderful bonus. Either way, I'm happy to keep you all informed about our Island paradise.

chris.mueller

chris.mueller - Sep 12, 2007 8:40 am - Voted 10/10

Worth it...

Spending all the time for that report was definitely worth it. Thanks for sharing the excellent panoramas

Chris

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 12, 2007 11:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Worth it...

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the kind words.

Martin

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 14, 2007 7:18 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Worth it...

Agreed. The forum discussion doesn't apply to a TR of this length and quality.

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Sep 12, 2007 12:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Sounds like a great trip

This report, both informative and entertaining, has moved the Hinde up on my longer-term wish list. What a stunningly beautiful area.
Thanks for posting the report!

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 12, 2007 1:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Sounds like a great trip

It was a pleasure to to this WK.

When the Hinde gets to the top of your list do contact me. If you're coming all the way to the Island, you'll certainly want to add a few more of our summits to your trip and I'll be delighted to provide all the beta you need.

I'm leaving in ~an hour for a trip to the north Island, an area I haven't included in SP yet. If we get to the top of our objectives, watch for some additions from this area late next week.

Cheers,

Martin

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 17, 2007 12:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: A trip report is not just...

Thanks for such kind comments and accurate observations.

You're 100% right wrt the Island. A visitor coming here to hike with me once mentioned this fact to the Air Canada flight attendent serving her, to which the response was "Are there mountains on Vancouver Island?" This isn't American or United etc - this is our national carrier. Says it all.........

T Sharp

T Sharp - Sep 12, 2007 10:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Well;

After looking at the Golden Hinde Mountain Page, and being astounded by the beauty, [and quality of the photos], I was delighted to see a TR accompanying it. I have always liked a good story, and any trip into an area as grand as this must have a terrific tale to go with it. Needless to say I was not let down!

I do not read all the trip reports on SP, I do not have that kind of time, but I really do enjoy a well written report on a worthy objective. You have piqued my curiosity about your island and its mountains, and given me an idea about what it takes to make a climb like this. To my mind that is what trip reports are all about.
Good On Ya!
Cheers;
Tim

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 17, 2007 12:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Well;

Thanks Tim - and sorry to be so long in responding; I was away, you guessed it - climbing.

If your curiosity about our island ever turns to heading this way, give me a shout.

Cheers,

Martin

Nanuls

Nanuls - Sep 14, 2007 7:56 am - Voted 10/10

Great TR

Great story Martin you now have two pages on the homepage, thats pretty good going!

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 17, 2007 12:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great TR

Thanks as always Dan. Glad you enjoyed the latest. Another coming up next week from the north Island. Then I've really got to allow my aging body some healing time before 5 weeks in Nepal starting Oct 7.

suddendescent

suddendescent - Sep 17, 2007 7:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Fabulous !

Thanks for the fabulous written rendition of the adventure !

My God ! I never thought the mountains looked so great on Vancouver island !

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Fabulous !

Thanks for reading the report and for the kind comments.

The Island is a climbers paradise. Imagine the trip as described and then add the fact that we didn't see another soul for 5 of the 6 days out there. Nirvana!!

Dan Baker

Dan Baker - Sep 18, 2007 10:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Great report

Great trip report and some top photos!!! Thanks for putting this one up! :)

Cheers,
Dan.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Sep 18, 2007 10:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great report

Thanks Dan. I very much appreciate the time you've taken to read the report and your kind words.

Cheers,

Martin

Charles

Charles - Sep 19, 2007 11:58 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting trip

Thanks for that
Cheers
Charles

Viewing: 1-20 of 34
12
Return to 'To The Top of Vancouver Island: The Golden Hinde' main page