Tungurahua Hike

Overview

Overview: Total Elevation Gain: 7,287 feet Total Distance Round Trip: 8.3 miles Great Wikiloc trail can be found here!

Now, back open to the public after years of eruption, Tungurahua is a long hike based out of Baños. Getting to Baños is relatively straight forward. From Quito, buses run from Quitumbe frequently. From Baños, hire a truck taxi to take you to the base of the mountain. If officials are in the office register there. Spend the afternoon hiking to the refuge which is a few hours from the summit. Staying in the refuge costs $5/night and the building has gas and rainwater for guests to use (usually). The next day, as early as possible, head for a summit push. Its best to leave at 3 or 4 am in the morning. The last push is tough as you trudge steeply upward through deep volcanic sand.

Based on weather this hike may require no gear however there are times in the year when this last part requires a harness, crampons, ice axes and ropes. Local guides can also lead you up this mountain. Such guides can be found in tour agencies in Baños. One of the guides, Nato, can be reached at +593 995829078.

ABOVE ALL: Look good, have fun, be safe. Good Luck!

External Links

Hike Ecuador


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.