Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Jan 4, 2018 5:47 am - Hasn't voted

reluctantly allow it?

Wrong! The land is sacred Aboriginal territory that is controlled by white people who stole it from the Aboriginals. The local Aboriginals do not want people climbing on their sacred rock, but are powerless to stop it because the white government doesn't care.

wdimpfl

wdimpfl - Jan 4, 2018 1:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

Is that true? Do the aborigines have no control over the climbing? My impression is that the Australian government has become more sensitive to the injustices that the aborigines have been subjected to. I understand that the local aboriginal tribe(s) are included on the board for the national park. When we visited I was threatened with thousand dollar fines if I stepped off the trail or took photographs in sacred areas around the rock. I was told that the rangers have the authority to review my camera memory for unauthorized photographs. When I questioned the severity of the punishment the guide threatened me with deportation. This was the treatment I received after paying $150 for a guided walk around the rock.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Jan 5, 2018 11:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

The Australian government is sympathetic to the Aboriginals? Lip service. The Australian government suspended all Aboriginal tribal governments, declared martial law and took over Aboriginal territories, and opened Aboriginal land to private for-profit enterprises like mining. And the Aboriginals get nothing in return.

wdimpfl

wdimpfl - Jan 6, 2018 3:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

That sounds a lot like how the US government treated the native American Indians and generally how a conquered people are treated. The strength of your reaction to my post gives me the impression that you have some sensitive connection to the issue. My observation was not meant to be offensive, but an attempt to make sense out of the confusing contradiction of climbing on Uluru being allowed while the native culture frowns upon it. In the US Southwest climbing in Monument Valley was eventually banned. I assume the same thing will eventually happen at Uluru. A friend of mine, Ed Bernbaum, wrote the book "Sacred Mountains" that deals with that subject. I called Ed before traveling to Uluru and based on his feedback I chose not to climb.

Sierra Ledge Rat

Sierra Ledge Rat - Jan 6, 2018 10:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

Very observant. I do have a connection, with the Yolngu of the top end of NT. Spent some with them, in a very remote area, learning their music and playing their instruments. I saw what the Australian government was doing with my own eyes. Actually got to meet the Australian PM when she paid a visit to the region.

wdimpfl

wdimpfl - Jan 7, 2018 9:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

I'm impressed. That sounds like an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing your insight. My wife, Heather, is from Australia but she hadn't been to Uluru until I traveled there with her last year.

T. White

T. White - May 15, 2018 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: reluctantly allow it?

Climbing Uluru will indeed be banned starting 10/26/2019. That's why I recently traveled there to experience the summit while it was still possible. Didn't know that climbing was banned in Monument Valley as well - thanks for the book recommendation.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Uluru Summit Trail' main page