Upper Gold Camp Road trailhead

Upper Gold Camp Road trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.74750°N / 104.9111°W
Additional Information Route Type: Bottom Hike / Top Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 scrambling near the top
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The Gold Camp Road trailhead is located directly off of Gold Camp Road just under a mile west of the intersection of Old Stage Road and Gold Camp Road.

Route Description

The first half mile or so is relatively easy Class 1 hiking. You will come to a sharp switchback that starts the difficult Class 1 section of the trail. The trail will head up steeply for a bit to a cliff wall where the trail appears to fork left and right. To the left heads up to the true summit and involves Class 2 scrambling. It would be tricky coming down this area in inclement weather as the rock is relatively smooth in areas. The fork to the right apparently heads up to the dramatic rock outcropping seen from the summit. Inclement weather kept us from trying this but I think it is safe to say I will be back to stand atop this rock.

Essential Gear

In good weather all that is needed is good hiking boots suitable for rough trail and scrambling.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.