Vf. Buhăescu Mare from Vf. Pietrosu

Vf. Buhăescu Mare from Vf. Pietrosu

A beautiful color mixture. Right from Buhăescu Mare you see Buhăescu Mic. (Rodnei Mountains, 15. Aug. 2006.)
peterbud
on Jun 26, 2007 3:56 am
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Scenery
Image ID: 305010

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
truegenesis777

truegenesis777 - Nov 12, 2008 11:36 am - Hasn't voted

hi

Isn't this Buhaescu Mare peak and behind Buhaescu Mic peak?

peterbud

peterbud - Nov 13, 2008 5:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

Salut!

I may have been mislead by a possible map error. When I've read your comment I looked up the new edition of the map I used to use, and this new one shows the peaks as you say (in fact it makes more sense this way). On the other hand, I would swear 100% that the old map showed them the other way. Don't have it here with me but will check at home (other SP pages seem to list this peak as Rebra, too, most probably because they used the same map). No matter what, thanks for bringing the issue up. I will look into it deeper and correct if correction is needed.

Cheers, Peter

peterbud

peterbud - Nov 13, 2008 8:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

I guess there is certainly a big mess with the maps.

Some older Romanian maps, like this one (see the bottom) indicate Rebra to be neighbour peak of Pietrosu in contrary to B. Mare.

However, some newer maps prepared by the National Park, like this or even better this one show it the other way.

Given that:
1) it makes more sense because of the lakes' names
2) all newer maps I have access to, have changed the position of Rebra a Buhaescu peaks

I would say that it's time for me to change the captions. I will post a message to the Romanian board on the issue to discuss before changing.

truegenesis777

truegenesis777 - Jun 28, 2010 10:05 am - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

Well, I know about the error in the old maps from the head of CAR Cluj (Romanian Alpine Club - Cluj branch), Mr. Dinu Mititeanu. In all his trip journals in the region of Pietrosu he reminds that from north to south the correct order of the peaks is: Pietrosu, Buh?escu Mare, Buh?escu Mic and Rebra.

And it does make a lot of sense if you associate the peak names with the lake names. The small Buh?escu lakes are on the slope of the Buh?escu Mare peak, and Rebra lake is on the slopes of Rebra and Obâr?ia-Rebrei peak. Also Rebra and Obâr?ia-Rebrei (which means "The origin of Rebra") are names linked to the river Rebra which starts its course on the southern slopes of these two mountains.

Well, it was great having a chat on this issue with you. ;) I wish that you will have amazing future trips! (wherever, not only in the Carpathians)

peterbud

peterbud - Jul 3, 2010 3:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

Yes it was certainly helpful to discuss the issue, thanks for bringing it up. The geography is clear, I think the old military maps are to blame for the misplacement of the peak names.

yatsek

yatsek - Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: hi

Well, this switch from Rebra to Buhăescu must have happened quite recently. All of the maps published in the second half of the 20th century I’ve seen feature the second highest peak on the ridge connecting Pietrosu to the main ridge as Rebra. What is more, I have a reprint of a report on a trek to the Chornohora and the Rodna undertaken in 1880 by a Polish botanist Hugo Zapałowicz, who explored the Pietrosu area. He had no doubt that the second highest peak in the Pietrosu massif was called Rebri. He was greatly impressed by the peak as he watched it from the valley today known as the valley of Buhăescu Mare – I’ll just translate a few lines he wrote about it: That beautiful peak of Rebri rose in terraces getting smaller and smaller with elevation, so it resembled a pyramid, or rather the Tower of Babel as was presented by Doré in his Old Testament of the Bible, except that it was finished and seemed to already reach the sky.

I guess in the 19th century, when quite a few peaks in the Carpathians still remained unnamed, the name Rebri/Rebra covered the highest two or all the three peaks south of Pietrosu. A bit later, the junction of the Pietrosu Ridge and the main ridge was named Buhăescu Mare – after the creek that originates just east of it. Owing to this, the 2268m (or 2257m on the latest maps) Rebra summit was cut off the headwaters of the Rebra River, which seemed rather illogical. So finally a decision was made to switch the names. Actually, this also seems illogical since the Buhăescu Mare Ridge (Piciorul Buhăescu Mare) lies about a mile west of today’s Rebra, even further away from today’s Buhăescu Mare peak and begins at Vf. Obârşia Rebrii instead of Vf. Buhăescu. It would be more logical and in keeping with tradition if today’s Vf. Obârşia Rebrii was called Vf. Buhăescu (it is a junction of the Buhăescu Mare and Buhăescu Mic ridges, isn’t it?), today’s Vf. Rebra – Vf. Obârşia Rebrii, Buhăescu Mic – Rebra Mică and finally Buhăescu Mare – Rebra Mare. Alternatively, the three peaks south of Pietrosu could be called Rebra Mare (2268m), Rebra Mică (2225m) and Rebra de Jos (2119m).

Viewing: 1-6 of 6