Via Cooney Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.30640°N / 106.1836°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See "Getting There".

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 11520 ft
Cooney Lake: 12580 ft, 1.4 miles (see short cut below)
Treasurevault: 2.55 miles (Distances per my GPS)



From trailhead, hike Mosquito Pass Road one mile south till the junction of Coney Lake Road to the right (Cooney Lake Road heads back north). To save yourself the hiking distance, you can go directly up the slopes above Mosquito Pass Road to reach Cooney Lake Road (short cut). Be ware that some of the slopes above Mosquito Pass Road are covered by an impenetrable growth of bushes. If you choose to do the short cut, check out the slopes from the trailhead to choose the appropriate slope.

Cooney Lake Road heads north on the gently sloped plateau and goes past a high point to end at Cooney Lake. Treasurevault can be seen directly to the west.

From Cooney Lake, you can follow any path to the top of Treasurevault but the description below might be helpful and might help you find a faint trail that seems to appear here and there. The slopes above the north side of Cooney Lake are scree-covered. Hike over the south side of the lake to the western end of it. You will eventually need to veer right (north) to go up a rocky area to reach the mildly sloped northeastern flank of Treasurevault. Hike up the rocks all the way to the summit.

Essential Gear

In summer. nothing more than good hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.