West Ridge - Piney River Valley

West Ridge - Piney River Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: CLASS 2 TO 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route via Piney Lake gives you access to a rarely visited part of the Gore Range and a comparably easy route up to the summit of West Partner.

little-piney-lake little-piney-lake

Getting There

Get off I 70 at Exit 176. Drive on North Frontage Rd to Red Sandstone Road which soon turns into FR 700. FR 700 is unpaved and often very bumpy, but you don't need 4 x 4. Right after passing the parking area for Lost Lake Trail turn on FR 701. Gate will be closed from late fall into early summer - in doubt please call NFS (970) 827 5715 to confirm road is open. FR 701 seems to consist only of potholes, but it is still makeable with any car if you take it very slow. The 12 miles from Vail may take you up to an hour.

Park right outside the entrance to Piney River Ranch.

summit view-west partner summit view-west partner

Route Description

Hike on Little Piney Trail up the valley. 

Notice: Piney River Ranch is private property, if you just hike through it without using any of their services you are technically trespassing, so make sure you take the trail around the Ranch to stay out of trouble. 

Until the waterfalls (about 1 hr) the trail is well maintained and very popular. After you passed the water falls the trail is not maintained anymore. Many fallen trees, trail is often hard to follow and higher up its not much more than a faint spur in the grass. In doubt the trail runs most the times close to the creek and never on its Western side. You will most likely not see another soul after you passed the waterfalls.

From Upper Piney Lake hike in the direction of the obvious deep notch in the West Ridge of West Partner. Scramble up the rubble filled gully, about halfway up you can climb up to the West Ridge on grassy ledges bypassing the rest of the gully. The first part of the West Ridge is an enjoyable Class 2-3 climb. After passing under a rockface on a ledge about halfway up you will reach the rubble field summit slopes of West Partner. From here it is an easy hike up to the summit.

Essential Gear / Camping

Boots & Helmet

Plenty of opportunities for camping along the way

External Links

99 % of this trip is inside the Eagle's Nest Wilderness  - please abide to all Wilderness Regulations


Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.