West Ridge

West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West Ridge is a comparably short, but challening ridge climb

Getting There

Exit 180 on I -70. Drive on Bighorn Rd to Gore Creek TrailHead. 

Route Description

Start on Gore Creek Trail. Very soon the trail will split. Turn left on Deluge Lake Trail. Trail will lead you (often very steeply) right underneath the South Face of Grand Traverse Peak.

Turn off the trail and scramble up to the notch righ west of actual summit ridge. 

Scramble up the first section of the ridge. Right at the Eastern edge of it two chimneys (and right at the edge, one to the south) will get you down to the next notch.Both require an airy Class 4 downclimb. You my need to rapel depending on your skills. A fall could kill you.

West of the notch a shallow gulley is leading up the Northern mountainside. Soon you reach a Y like fork. The left fork continues as an easy Class 2 scramble. The right fork soon requires a couple Class 3 moves to continue and soon the gulley clives out high above a ravine. A short Class 3 scramble gets you to the next notch below the last technical section of the ridge. This section can be bypassed Class 2 to 3 on its northern side. It can be climbed over or bypassed on its Southern side. Both options require Class 4 moves.

After this section the ridge relents, the reminder is a Class 1 hike to the summit.

 

Essential Gear

Helmet is a must

 



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.