White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow

White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys). Photo taken at Lost Lake, Emigrant Wilderness Area, Sierra Nevada, CA - August 1999.
Alpinist
on Jun 18, 2006 2:18 am
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 201090

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Nelson

Nelson - Jun 18, 2006 2:54 am - Voted 8/10

Song of the white-crowned sparrow

Most climbers in Colorado have heard the song of this sparrow, whether they know it or not, as it is active in the early morning hours at timberline. One can find it sitting on a high branch of krummholtz. It is a song of homecoming to me.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 18, 2006 3:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Song of the white-crowned sparrow

It's music to my ears as well. I'm good at mimmicking bird calls and I can often get birds to fly up close to me, probably out of curiosity. I've had some interesting close encounters with my feathered friends. Unfortunately, I don't always have a camera handy.

Nelson

Nelson - Jun 18, 2006 8:29 pm - Voted 8/10

Re: Song of the white-crowned sparrow

I was wondering how you got these photos. That is a neat skill to have! I consider myself lucky to just recognize the song, let alone mimic it.

This shot loses something due to the leaf in front of the head and neck, clipping the eye, but I know these are tough to get.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 19, 2006 2:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Song of the white-crowned sparrow

You're right. The photo is not the greatest, but you can at least identify the bird. You're vote was on the money. Cheers...
-George

desainme

desainme - Jun 18, 2006 3:05 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting variant

on the plaintive song of the white throated sparrow.

Alpinist

Alpinist - Jun 18, 2006 3:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting variant

You must indeed have a keen ear to detect such a subtle difference. It's those cat ears no doubt.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6