White Pine

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53300°N / 111.6805°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with Some Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the south end of the White Pine trailhead follow a paved footpath down the hill to a well-constructed footbridge across the stream. Cross the stream and turn right (west). The trail is an old jeep road that climbs gradually up the hill in a southwesterly direction. It climbs into the White Pine Canyon drainage and turns south to reach the junction with the Red Pine Canyon trail after 1.0 miles. Follow the road, which makes a sharp switchback left(east) to an overlook at 1.25 miles and 8200ft. Continue past two more switchbacks and arrive at a nice meadow at 8,500 feet after 2.0 miles. Above the meadow the trail makes a series of short switchbacks along the east side of the drainage. It eventually climbs over a spur ridge, crosses a west-facing scree slope and White Pine Lake comes into view. The road continues a short distance and drops a hundred feet to White Pine Lake at 10,000 feet and 4.5 miles.
It is not necessary to go all the way to the lake. The road makes its last turn toward the lake at 10,200 feet. Leave the comfort of the road here.

Route Description


At the last turn before White Pine Lake continue (south) onto the boulderfield. Contour along the boulderfield and cross a small drainage. Begin the ascent on loose boulders (possibly snow) and make a gradual ascent across the boulderfield continuing south. Aim for a notch west of the lowpoint on the ridge. A small toothlike mark on the ridge is a nice target. It is not necessary to go all the way to the ridge. Within a hundred feet of the ridge, continue an ascending traverse of the boulders and scree on the north face of White Baldy. An escarpment along the ridge is soon visible. Climb toward the ridge and gain the ridge directly east of the escarpment. A ramp continues along the north side. Once past this obstacle gain the ridge again. Continue along the ridge where possible. White Baldy's summit comes into view. Cross to the left (south) side of the ridge when easy passage is not possible. The rock is more solid on the south side of the ridge. The initial ridge is Class 2 with boulders and scree. The final few hundred feet to the summit are Class 3 along the ridge. .

Essential Gear


No technical gear is required. Self sufficiency capabilities and avalanche knowledge should accompany you in the winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Feb 8, 2005 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

I don't know if you want to incorporate this info, but here's what TOPO! calculated for the route.

Distance: 3.85 mi (1-way)
Elevation Gain: +3,674'

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.