via Red Pine

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53300°N / 111.6805°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling with exposure
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at the White Pine Trailhead, 5.5 miles up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Route Description


Start up the White Pine trail (an old mining road). After nearly a mile, the trail splits with the old road leading up to White Pine, and a more narrow trail leading to Red Pine. Take the split to Red Pine which quickly crosses the stream, then the ridge into Red Pine Canyon. There are fine views here down Little Cottonwood. Continue to Red Pine Lake, passing a split that leads west to tiny Maybird Lakes. From Red Pine Lake, take one of the many faint tracks leading up another 400 feet to the ridge above where the upper Red Pine Lakes sit. From here you'll need to route-find onto the prominent northwest ridge of White Baldy. Once on the ridge, there is some difficult scrambling around blocks and pinnacles, then a steeper (though less difficult) climb to the main summit ridge. Pass the western peak on the left (Little Cottonwood side) by tedious climbing over and around giant boulders and work your way to the true summit.

We downclimbed the north face directly which was steep, but for the most part stable granite blocks. This puts you into the tremendous rock-filled upper bowl of Red Pine...and a truly tedious trek is necessary to get back to the trail around the upper lakes.

Essential Gear


In early summer an ice axe will be necessary on the steep slopes. Once the snow is gone no special equipment is needed.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Feb 8, 2005 2:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Comment

I don't know if you want to incorporate this info, but here's what TOPO! calculated for the route.

Distance: 4.55 mi (1-way)
Elevation Gain: +3,650'

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.