Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.93808°N / 122.14587°W
Additional Information County: Klamath
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6933 ft / 2113 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Wizard Island Summit
Wizard Island summit

 
The Crater Atop the Crater
Crater on Wizard Island

Summit Elevation: 6933 feet
Season: Mid-July - Early September
Round Trip time: 1 hr
Elevation Gain: 765 feet

Wizard Island is one of the most photographed views in Crater Lake National Park, however, most simply drive around the rim of the Caldera and maybe step out of their car a few times. Others choose to hike to some of the viewpoints like Hillman Peak and Mount Scott. It seems that a small few of the nearly half a million visitors to the park per year actually make it to Wizard Island's summit or even to the lake itself.

Getting There

 
Cleetwood Cove Map
Cleetwood Cove Trail Map

 
Cleetwood Cove Trail
View of Cleetwood Cove Trail

From the North Park Entrance getting to the Cleetwood Cove trailhead is done by driving south to North Junction. Once there turn left on East Rim Drive and go 4.5 miles to a signed turnoff for the Cleetwood Cove Trail. You will need to get there early and buy a ticket for the Boat Tour as they fill up early.

*2013 Rates June 28 - September 15, 2010

2014 Dates TBD

2013 Ticket Price

Adult $35.00
Adult with Wizard Island drop off $45.00

Child (age 3 through 11)

$21.00

Child with Wizard Island drop off $27.00

Infant (under 2 years of age)

Not Permitted

Pricing For the Boat Tours

Approach

 
Trail on Wizard Island
Wizard Island Trail

 
Boat Tour
Boat Tour

After you've got a ticket for the Boat Tour you must meet the boats at the bottom of the Cleetwood Cove Trail. It is about 1.1 miles (1.2 km) and descends about 700 feet (213 m) to the lake. At your selected time the boat will depart and you can listen to a tour guide explain the geologic features visible along the way to the island. Once they drop you off, you have 3 hours to explore the Island. Other activities on the island are swimming, SCUBA, and fishing which can be done without a license since the fish in the lake are not native.

 
Wizard Island Trail
Wizard Island Trailmap

After being dropped off on the island the route to the top is pretty straightforward. It is only about 1 mile each way with 765 feet of elevation gain. At the summit you will have 360 degree views of the rim of the crater as well as a surreal view into another crater. This one being about 90 feet deep and 300 feet across.

Red Tape

To enter the park you will need to pay either $10 for a 7 day pass ($5 for motorcycles)or $80 for the yearly pass (good at all National Parks)

Camping

Their is no camping on the Island. You may be able to organize staying an extra 3 hours if you discuss it with the boat operators but I'm not even sure about that.

Mountain Conditions

Crater Lake has an average of 533 inches of snow per year (about 45 feet). Having said that, it's important to know the current conditions before planning a trip to the park. The Crater Lake National Park website had a tab showing current road conditions and another which shows webcams.

External Links

www.craterlakelodges.com
travel.yahoo.com
vulcan.wr.usgs.gov
www.nps.gov

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Crater Lake National ParkMountains & Rocks