Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.05420°N / 107.4381°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13158 ft / 4011 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Unnamed 13158 Overview

13158 from saddle
13158 is probably one of the most climbed of all unnamed mountains in Colorado. This is because it shares a saddle with Uncompahgre Peak which is one of the most, if not the most, popular mountain in Colorado. You can read up about Uncompahgre Peak on it's main page, but it is a large mesa-like mountain that is an instant land mark. 13158 however is lucky enough to share it's saddle with Uncompahgre and that saddle is one of the main routes up it. So, it is usually combined with Uncompahgre Peak and maybe Wetterhorn Peak as well. From the saddle, the hike is very easy to the top and you should be up and down within 45 minutes, if not, shorter. And your in the Uncompahgre Wilderness already, so of coarse it will make a memorable side trip to your day.

In-depth Details

Here are more details:

Elevation: 13,158 ft.
CO Peak Rank: 516

Range: San Juan
Counties: Hinsdale

Quadrangle: Uncompahgre Peak
Coordinates: 38.0542°N, -107.4381°W

Prominence: 378'
Saddle: 12,780 ft.

Proximate Parent: Uncompahgre Peak
Line Parent: Uncompahgre Peak
Isolation: 1.78

YDS Class Rating: 2

Climbers Log

Getting There

13158 from signfrom the sign
From Gunnison, go SW on US 50. Then after a while you will see the cut-off on the left for US 149. Take that road to Lake City. After that turn west onto 2nd street and make a left. From here you are on the road to Engineer Pass, but before you get to the cut-off, there is a sign to the right that says "Nellie Creek Trailhead". Make a right here. From here you will need a 4X4 vehicle to get to the main trailhead. But it is very common for people to hike up the road.

From here continue up the trail like you would do for Uncompahgre. Once you get to the saddle marked by a sign, make a left and do the Class 2 accent of the peak. You either descend the opposite way and meet back up with the trailhead, or go back the way you came.

Red Tape

Nellie CreekNellie Creek
No permits required, but since you are in the Uncompahgre Wilderness, you must follow all regulation applying to it. No driving off road, etc...

Here the info if you need to contact the forest service:

Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests

2250 Highway 50
Delta, CO 81416
(970) 874-6600

Camping

Camping is available all along the Lake City road including the Blue Mesa. It should not be difficult to find a suitable campsite anywhere near the area.

External Links

Uncompahgre Wilderness Service

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=645

Uncompahdre Wilderness