1990 Southeast Slide

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.12690°N / 73.9603°W
Additional Information Route Type: Slide Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Marcy Dam:

Take the yellow trail south from the Dam, heading towards Avalanche Lake. At a trail junction 1.1 miles from the Dam, take the trail to Lake Arnold. Continue past a trail to Indian Falls. Above this junction, the trail takes a sharp left and continues past another trail junction at Lake Arnold. Shortly after Lake Arnold, the slide crosses the trail.

From Lake Colden:

Head up the trail towards Mt. Marcy along the Opalesent River. Continue North towards Lake Arnold at the Mt. Marcy trail junction. The trail crosses the base of the slide a short time later.

Route Description


The climb itself is fairly strait forward. All you need to do is keep climbing up. The bottom of the slide (were it crosses the trail) is wide and somewhat dirty. The middle section makes a bow shape - and is much narrower then either the top or the bottom. The top of the slide has two "fingers", with the right finger going a little further up the mountain then the right.

It is possible to exit from the very top of either finger and bushwack up to the ridge. The bushwack from the right finger is a bit easier because there is less bushwacking to do. It may also be possible to climb the older, dirtier slides to the far left of the 1990 slide, although getting to the summit may be very difficult.

Essential Gear


Good boots or shoes, water, and a group of friends also willing to climb.

There have been several ski descents of this slide in the winter, so you would need expierence and the right gear if you wished to ski it. A winter climb of the Southeast Slide would require snowshoes for the trek in, and possibly an ax and crampons near the top of the slide.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.