Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 37.68930°N / 107.6022°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 8, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

Stats/Background

The Grenadier Mountains are a mountain range deep in the Weminuche Wilderness north of the Needle Mountains.
Peak Name
CO Rank
Elevation
Arrow Peak
104
13803
Vestal Peak
77
13864
West Trinity
120
13765
Trinity Peak
103
13805
East Trinity
128
13745

Distance: 23.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 10422'

Arrow Peak

I camped at the Molas Trailhead Saturday night. I started hiking down the Animas Trail at 2:30 am. My Princeton Tec Scout LED Headlamp was not bright enough to move very quickly down the trail. I crossed the Animas River on the footbridge, reached the Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad and began looking for the Elk Creek Trail. I missed it, but folllowed a faint trail that intersected it. I followed the Elk Creek Trail to the Beaver Pond and followed a faint trail passed some campsites then lost it. I bushwhacked down to Elk Creek, crossed it, then bushwacked up to the Vestal Creek Trail. I followed the Vestal Creek Trail to the base of Arrow Peak. I crossed Vestal Creek and a couple attempting Vestal Peak and climbed Arrow Peak's northeast face reaching the summit at 8:48. The summit provided a good view of the Needle Mountains.
Needle Mountains Needle Mountains

Vestal Peak

I descended Arrow Peak's northeast face and saw Colorado's possibly highest tree at about 13,750 feet on Arrow's north ridge. I climbed up to the Vestal Peak-Arrow Peak saddle and continued up Vestal Peak's south face. Just below the summit, I passed the couple I saw earlier, stopping to answer their questions about Arrow Peak's northeast face route. I got to the summit at 11:20. I saw a party of 3 on the summit.

Highest Tree in Colorado?Highest Tree in Colorado?

West Trinity

I descended Vestal Peak's south face and traversed to the Vestal Peak-West Trinity saddle. I continued up West Trinity's west ridge and noticed Barry, one of the people on Vestal's summit, was following me. The west ridge provided some good scrambling and I got to the summit at 1:17 pm. We hung out at the summit a while before parting ways.

Trinity Peak

I descended West Trinity's east ridge towards the West Trinity-Trinity Peak saddle and began looking for the ledge required to bypass the "Fourth Trinity". I descended southeast then ascended northeast and finally found it. Shortly after finding it, the ledge system ended. I spent a lot of time looking for it, before realizing it was time to ascend to the 4th class chimney. I found the chimney, climbed it and climbed to the summit arriving at 2:52.

West Trinity PeakWest Trinity Peak

East Trinity

I descended Trinity Peak's east gully and ascended East Trinity's west gully to East Trinity's south ridge. There was some exposed third class on the ridge. I got to the summit at 3:46. I descended East Trinity's east ridge to East Trinity-Peak Three saddle, then continued west avoiding as much snow as possible. I stopped and talked with many people on the way out just below treeline in Vestal Creek. The Animas Trail was no fun on the return.

Map.  Click to enlarge.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jul 11, 2007 6:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Plain and Simple

You're an animal! Awesome effort. Fancy meeting all of those people up there, including our beloved attm! Looking forward to his report as well. Congrats!

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Jul 16, 2007 12:17 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Plain and Simple

Thanks! Which climber was attm?

BigRob

BigRob - Jun 5, 2009 3:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow

That kicks ass

seano

seano - Jul 18, 2012 8:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Good idea

Thanks for writing this up. It inspired me to repeat your day-trip into this spectacular area.

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good idea

12 hours is fast!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5