5 Highpoints in 7 days (Day 1 & 2)

5 Highpoints in 7 days (Day 1 & 2)

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 43.46064°N / 95.7098°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 2, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

2010 High point Blitz

This is a trip report for Hawkeye Point, IA (day 1 and 2), Eagle Mountain, MN (day 3 and 4), Mount Arvon, MI (day 5 and 6), Timms Hill, WI (day 6) and Charles Mound, IL (day 7). Each specific Highpoint will be posted on its appropriate page. If you want to read our trip in order, just stare with Hawkeye Point, IA.

Day 1: This will be a trip of a few first for Barb and me. This will be our first multi-state Highpoint road trip and the biggy…….. this will be the first time my wife Barb has been camping let alone “tent” camping. We left our base in Prosper, TX bright and early Sunday morning (wishful thinking…..10:00am) and headed north up I-35 through Oklahoma where we had our first detour over to “Soda”, a really cool place in Arcadia, OK that carries a few hundred types of sodas.
POPs

Soda

After loading up with a variety of root beers such as Rat Bastard we continued on into Kansas to deal with the toll roads. We finally made it up to Topeka, KS, cleared the toll roads and headed north up US-75 into Nebraska up to IA-2 and made a left into Iowa and our first nights stop at Waubonsie State Park in Iowa. We quickly set up camp (in the dark) and called it a night.
Waubonsie SP IA 1

Day 2: After a fair first night’s sleep we got to experience the joy of packing everything up and getting on the road…………… With everything re-stuffed in our Civic and trailer, we took a quick spin around the State Park. We stopped at one of the scenic overlooks and snagged the geocache that was there on the way back to the car.
Waubonsie State Park, IA

Waubonsie State Park, IA


We continued north up I-29 through the western edge of Iowa up to Sioux City to pick up US-75/IA-60 and head up to our first State Highpoint of the trip, Hawkeye Point, IA.
Hawkeye Point, IA 2

Hawkeye Point, IA 3

Hawkeye Point, IA 4

After finding one of the geocaches and taking our summit pics, we jumped back in the car and headed back out to US-75/IA-60 and then continued north to intercept I-90 in Minnesota. We headed east on I-90 and then north on I-35 to Owatonna, MN where we bailed off the freeway and cruised over to our next camp, Rice Lake State Park, MN (a.k.a. Mosquito haven). Our second attempt of setting camp went much smoother than the previous and our pop up home was up and ready to occupy in no time.
Rice Lake State Park, MN

We used our handy can of fogger to successfully keep the mosquitoes at bay while we settled in for the night. Day 3 starts at Minnesota's highpoint, Eagle Mountain.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hawkeye PointTrip Reports