Viewing: 1-6 of 6
lcarreau

lcarreau - May 7, 2008 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

I like it !!

How does a person obtain a guide? Can you still spend the night
without a guide, as long as you have a camping permit?? This area
really has some appeal - I need to check it out on the web!
Beautiful photos, Sarah!!!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 7, 2008 1:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I like it !!

Larry,

As I understand it, to essentially hike anything besides the White House Ruins trail, a hiking party needs to be accompanied by a certified guide (either a Park Ranger or a licenced Navajo guide). I could be wrong, though.

Here's a link to the "permits" section of the Canyon de Chelly National Monument website:
http://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/permits.htm

...not that it clears anything up...

Regardless of rules/regulations, I would HIGHLY recommend enjoying the canyon with a Navajo guide. I can provide (via PM or email, if you're interested) contact information for the guide who took us into the canyon. She's a most amazing person. A certified guide really brings the canyon to life. You can also contact the Monument directly to get contact information for a guide. The $$$ spent is well worth it.

Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 8, 2008 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice page

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the page and the pics. -Sarah

BigJordan

BigJordan - Jun 28, 2008 3:51 am - Voted 10/10

Beatiful Album!

Awesome album. Canyon De Chelly is a really cool place. I was there once with my mom when I was a youngin' I would love to get back there now that I'm an old man so I can enjoy it a bit more. thanks for sharing, your pictures are amazing.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beatiful Album!

Thank you so much for your kind words about this album. That was truly, truly a very special week for me. The land is beautiful, but so are the people inhabiting that land. The history of that canyon is alive and crackling. PS: Since when does 27 qualify you for "Old Man" status? ;)

Cheers,

Sarah

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 16, 2009 9:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A+++

Alec,

Thanks for your kind commentary. My week down in Canyon de Chelly was just one of those...those weeks were you keep telling yourself: This is amazing. I can't believe I'm here! The sun on the rocks, the solemn singing of our hostess' nephew, the sandpaintings...just an amazing journey.

Safe climbing!

Sarah

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'A Magical Week in Canyon de Chelly' main page