Aeneas via Picnic Lakes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.09155°N / 113.90024°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log


Picnic Lake



Overview

The Picnic Lake approach is a longer more strenuous route then the Trail #717 route but it takes the climber into beautiful sub-alpine terrain and into the eastern side of the Jewel Basin.

This route is on trails for its entirity but the upper portions of the trails present exposure to falls of great distances while walking on the trails if one should slip.

Total distance to the summit ≅ 3.7 miles.

Total elevation gained ≅ 1,778 feet.

This is also a route that can include optional side trips to many of the Jewel Basin's mountain lakes. Popular destinations for camping include Black Lake and Blackfoot Lake.

This route also can lead to Columbia Mountain which is ≅ 30 miles in distance.

Route Description

Upon arrival at Camp Misery follow trail # 8 from the Ranger Station for 6/10ths of a mile to an obvious junction. Take the right fork at the junction and continue on Trail # 68 for another 6/10ths of a mile bypassing an obvious fork after a massive red rock on your right, this is Alpine Trail # 7.

At the Alpine Trail #7 take a left and begin the long climb to the Picnic Lakes notch. This leg of the trip is about 9/10ths of a mile.

At that notch Alpine Trail # 7 continues North. To reach the Picnic Lakes take the right fork Trail (# 392) and walk another 4/10ths of a mile through meadows underneath the east wall of the Aeneas Ridge to Picnic Lakes. The trail passes between these two tarns and reaches trail # 717.

After taking a right turn on Trail # 717 another 1.2 miles will bring you to the summit of Mount Aeneas.

Follow BLUE/RED line to second junction from Camp Misery and then the YELLOW line that marks the trail to the Picnic Lakes Notch, Picnic Lakes and then to the summit of Mount Aeneas. Trails marked on this map are approximate.


Essential Gear

The ususal equipment for hiking is needed. Plan on carrying Bear Deterrent Spray and water unless you own a filter.

If an early or late season journey is planned obviously appropriate gear for winter travel including avalance beacons will be needed.

External Links

Map of Jewel Basin




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.