Aiguille du Génépi

Aiguille du Génépi

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Hiking

Climbing Aiguille du Génépi

This is an album with a little collection of pictures of climbing / scrambling up the Aiguille du Génépi, one of the last summits of the Mont Blanc range at the far end of the Chamonix valley. I don't have enough time or info at the moment to create a complete mountain page, maybe later!

Génépi?

What's in a name? From Wikipedia:

Génépi or Genepy is a general term given by residents from the Alps to several rare, aromatic Alpine plants (such as Artemisia mutellina, Artemisia spicata, Artemisia umbelliformis and Artemisia glacialis) and is also the name of a digestif or liqueur produced in the region.

Génépi is the favourite local drink in Savoy in France and the Aosta Valley in northern Italy. It is the most famous of après-ski drinks at the French resorts.

The digestif is something of an acquired taste. It is less sweet than many digestifs, and the flavor imparted by the herbs, which include relatives of wormwood, is reminiscent of chamomile or feverfew. It is naturally pale gold in colour, but some varieties have a final maceration in the Artemisia herbs which yield a light green color. Some are dyed bright green. A neutral spirit such as vodka is typically the base.

Although there are a number of commercial producers, many residents and restaurant owners in the Haute Savoie produce their own. The flowers are harvested in August and macerated in alcohol. Each mountaineer has his own "secret" recipe for Génépi, but the rule of thumb for each liter is 40 flowers, 40 g sugar, 40 percent alcohol by volume.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Anoosha

Anoosha - Apr 1, 2010 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

wauuu

ur photos are fantastic,
and so many amazing shut that is not possible to leave comment for all,
gud luck my friend

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.