Algonquin-Avalance Lake-circle

Algonquin-Avalance Lake-circle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14360°N / 73.9869°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hard Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start at the parking lot at Adirondak Loj.

Route Description

Assend Algonquin using the reqular trail leading from Adirondak loj which should put you at the summit in 3-4 hours. Crossover the summit and descend to the col between Iroquois and Algonquin making sure you stay on open rock. Simply follow the paint and cairn trail. At the tree line you will find the trail that leads down to Avalance Lake. Be careful here as the trail to Iroquois is nearby if you start decending right away you are on the right trail. The trail descends through a series of steep switchbacks through some very dence bush for about 1km, comming out onto a large open stream bed which one follows until a small falls. The trail is steep again for a short strech untill it greadully levels out and meets up with another trail. Take the trail to Avalanch Lake to the left (NE) until you come to the lake. The trail then starts a series of ladders boardwalks and scambles around the North Shore of Avalanch Lake. The most dramitic and senic part of the trip is the Hitch me Up Matildas about 3/4 the way around. You will be treated to a marverouls view of the trap dyke on Colden. Follow the trail to the end of the Lake. At the end of the lake the trail turns sharply to the right heading almost due north steadily gaining height. This portion of the trail you will cross over the watershed devide between the Hudson and the St Larent rivers. Keep an eye out for the sesonal stream that sits directly on the devide where about 1/2 of its water goes one way and the rest the other. After this the trail heads downhill to a camping area and then after this about 2km of flat walking one reaches Marcy Dam. Cross over the dam and follow the trail to Adirondack Loj you should meet up with the original Algonquin trial after about 2 km. A round trip is about 15-20km and 8-10 hours one can also easily climb Wright and Iroquois by simple 30 and 45 min side trips.

Essential Gear

In summer bring plenty of water as the local ground warter is unfit to drink as well as rain gear and a warm sweater. In fall Winter and Spring be prepared for artic like contions at anytime. Crampons and a rope are not needed but instep Crampons in fall and spring are a good Idea. As well in winter and spring use snow shoes and be prepared to spend the night if need be.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.