Alpine Garden Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.27060°N / 71.3047°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is one of the branch trails off of the terminus of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail at the top of the headwall. It takes hikers from the end of the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the Auto-Road as a link.

Route Description


This route connects hikers from the Tuckerman Ravine Trail to the auto road on the mountain's east side. The trail is entirely above timberline. As its name indicates, you will travel through the Alpine Garden which is one of the mountain's more important natural areas. You will find an abundance of rare wildflowers here from mid-June through mid-July. Many of the species found here are very very fragile and their rarity makes them protected by the National Forest System so watch your step.

The trail covers a total distance of almost two miles and gains 450 feet in elevation during which time it takes you to approximately 5,300 feet in elevation along the auto-road to the summit.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, food/water, trekking poles, and a camera.