Angell/Lees - Angell Basin

Angell/Lees - Angell Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.94170°N / 118.2298°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the main page under “Getting There” to reach the Anthony Lake day use parking lot.

Route Description


From the parking lot head east along the south side of the lake on the Anthony Shoreline Trail, 1605. After less than a ¼ mile turn right on the Hoffer Lakes Trail, 1641. Climb this low to moderate grade trail for approximately ½ mile to the lakes. Continue around the left or east side of the lake. Much of the summer this area will be a maze of swamps and marshes that will make for slow going. It’s best to climb the slope a bit on the Gunsight Mountain – Angell Peak connecting ridge to avoid the water all together. Once on the east side of the upper lake head southeast up the gentle bottoms of Angell Basin for approximately ½ mile. The basin will curve to the southwest and the slope gently climbs another half mile to the ridge line that connects Angell Peak and Lees Peak at the head of the basin. Climb the slope to the ridgeline and take a left for an easy scramble to the summit of Angell Peak or go right to reach Lees Peak.

The top of Lees Peak is formed by three summit towers. The first one on the left is the highest. This point is mostly technical climbing, but there is a small, twenty foot chute on the north side that is easiest. Climb this using the ledges and cracks on the rock walls. Near the top of the chute move to the right below some overhanging rocks to the summit opening. This is a short move, but you’ll be hanging on with hands only with air beneath the feet for a bit. Once the overhead rocks are cleared, pull up to the flat summit.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.