Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 36.95300°N / 111.441°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Antelope Canyon is the jewel of the American Southwest, IMHO. Its beauty is impossible to describe but I will try. It is a wondrous magical natural desert cathedral that is forever changing with light as the sun moves across the sky. The light filtering down illuminates the swirling smooth sandstone canyon walls and creates a myriad of gorgeous colors and patterns. This canyon is simply one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. The experience of being there and seeing the dancing colors and feeling the smooth sandstone underneath your fingers as you trail them along the walls is very uplifting and spiritual. This is a place every person should visit before they die to see the fantastic work of Mother Nature.

Antelope Creek enters Lake Powell about 3 miles east of Page, Arizona at an elevation of about 4,000 feet, and for most of its course it flows through a wide sandy wash that's not particularly scenic. But it does flow through 2 sections of narrow slot canyon carved into rock and this is where the fun begins. The Upper Canyon is the most visited because you can simply walk into it and walking through the canyon itself is very easy. [img:173179:alignright:small:Beam]It is about 120 feet deep, a few feet wide, and about as long as a city block.

The Navajo called the upper canyon Tse' bighanilini meaning "the place where water runs through rocks." They called the lower canyon Hasdestwazi or "spiral rock arches." Pronghorn antelope used to roam this area and that is probably why settlers named it Antelope Canyon.

Lower Antelope Canyon is longer (about 1/2 mile) and deeper (about 150 feet) and you must climb down into it using ladders. The floor of the canyon is rocky and uneven and sometimes muddy. The passageways sometimes get trapped with debris that can be hard to get around or over. Visitors here must also be accompanied by a guide.

The absolute lowest part of the canyon, where it enters Lake Powell, can be explored quite easily via boat.

 

Getting There & Red Tape

Antelope Canyon is a few miles east of Page, Arizona on Highway 98. You must have a permit and a guide to visit Antelope Canyon since it is on Navajo Land. During busy times (typically April through October) there is a booth right at the entrance to Antelope Canyon along Highway 98 about 5 miles east of Page that will sell you a permit and where you can book a guide and a 4wd-truck ride up the very sandy wash. The cost in March 2009 was $26/person.

Or in Page itself there are several companies that provide tours to Antelope Canyon. This is a convenient option for many. For about $40 you can book a 2-hour tour with a friendly guide that will do all the driving for you and tell you about the canyon. You can book longer tours for more $$. This is the link to the tour company that I have used before...

Antelope Canyon Tours

 

Camping

The closest camping is at Wahweap Marina on Lake Powell. This is a nice large campground not far from the lake. Click here for more info!

 

Safety and other considerations

[img:285823:alignleft:small:Antelope Canyon Sandfall]
Please note, slot canyons should not be visited if there is any chance of rain in the area! In 1997 11 people were drowned during a flash flood in Lower Antelope Canyon. It was closed for many months but finally re-opened.

If you wear contacts, you may consider glasses for the day. The fine sand sometimes blows fiercely through the canyon and will irritate your eyes to no end. You may also want to bring a sweater since the temperature inside the canyon is typically 20 degrees cooler than it is outside. Bring plenty of water, of course, as this is a desert.

Be sure to bring your camera and a tri-pod. The light is dim so hand-held shots will most likely turn out blurry. Bring a camera that has manual settings so you can turn off the flash and allow for longer shutter-speeds. And finally, if you wish to photograph sunbeams entering the canyon, book your trip mid-day during the summer months. In the fall, winter, and spring the sun is at such an angle that you won't get direct sunbeams inside the canyon.

 

External Links

Link to Navajo Parks and Recreation Antelope Canyon Page

Glen Canyon National Recreation Area

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Scott

Scott - Sep 18, 2006 3:01 am - Hasn't voted

Clarifications and corrections

Nice page. Actually, all of the Corkscrew is considered to be "Lower Antelope Canyon" instead of Upper Antelope as implied here. Calling it upper can be quite confusing since the Navajos, all guidebooks, and there permit consider it to be lower Antelope. Corkscrew and all the canyon below the highway is Lower Antelope. The Crack and Canyon X are in Upper Antelope. Perhaps clarify this by refering to it as Upper Corkscrew rather than "upper canyon" to avoid some confusion. The below is just my opinion: Pehaps chance this to "a jewel" instead of "the jewel" beause there are actually better slot canyons out there. Just my opinion about changing the above though.

tarol

tarol - Sep 18, 2006 2:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Clarifications and corrections

Thanks for the correction on the Corkscrew name, Scott. I'll correct it on the page...

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Oct 9, 2006 12:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Best Time for Photography

Sequoia--Great page! You might add in the best time to visit explanation that shooting light columns is best done around mid-day. --mark d.

tarol

tarol - Oct 9, 2006 2:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Best Time for Photography

Thanks, I added the bit about mid-day shooting.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.