Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.95300°N / 111.441°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 9, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring

Upper Antelope Canyon Tour

[img:285855:aligncenter:medium:Ground Level Light Beam]

Ever since I discovered Upper Antelope Canyon I have been dying to walk within it's walls. The pictures I have seen of it have been amazing. I couldn't wait to finally capture it's magic through my own lens. The light shows that it offers are absolutely amazing.

[img:378264:alignleft:medium:Upper Antelope Canyon Sandfall]

My wife and I just finished up our travel nursing assignment in Phoenix and made our way towards Page, AZ. Upper Antelope Canyon was the first stop on our 5 day itinerary. This was something we did not want to miss. We booked a photo tour with one of the local Antelope Canyon tour companies located in Page. It seemed a little expensive ($91) but the beauty of this canyon was well worth it. Not to mention you get a good workout if you go on the photo tour. Not from hiking, but from scrambling to get a shot while avoiding the hundreds of other people walking through the canyon. Some people would just walk right in front of the lenses without even caring; even when our guide was literally yelling at them to please get out of the way. I started out the tour almost feeling stressed and a little frustrated. At least this is how the first 30 minutes of the tour were like. After capturing the multiple light beams along the canyon, we had another hour and a half to just enjoy the canyon and the beauty that it offers. Not to mention many of the people present in the canyon started to fizzle out making for some rare solitude.

I took this time to walk back and forth throughout the canyon looking for different angles and lights to photograph, while my wife took the more relaxing route and sat near the entrance at one of the particularly scenic spots and did some sketches of which she plans to paint a little bit further down the road.

So although it was kind of hectic at the beginning, and there were hundreds of people to contend with, this was still an experience I will not soon forget and that I would recommend to anyone at least once. We rode away savoring the memory that will last us a lifetime.

Lower Antelope Canyon Relaxed Self Tour

April 10, 2007

[img:378272:alignleft:medium:Lava flow in Lower Antelope Canyon]

After our hectic Upper Antelope Canyon Tour we attempted to get in on the lottery for "The Wave" but the BLM directions sent us the wrong way so we never made it on time, but our backup plan however was to tour Lower Antelope Canyon.
Which is what we did!
For only a third of what it cost to tour Upper Antelope Canyon we were able to spend up to 4 hours in the depths of Lower Antelope Canyon without the rush and without the hoards and hoards of people that are present in the more popular canyon. I must say that Lower Antelope Canyon was just as fun and just as scenic as Upper Antelope Canyon. About the only thing that Upper offers over Lower is the light beam show.
This tour played out a lot like our tour of Upper Antelope Canyon. I took my time photographing while my wife walked the expanse to find her spot to sketch. I eventually caught up to her, admiring her work for about 10 minutes or so and then I continued onward to the terminus of the canyon. This canyon was a little funner for both of us because it's walls were more compact and there were more up and down sections than are present in Upper Antelope Canyon. We probably spent a good 3 hours in the canyon enjoying the angles, the shadows, the curves, the colors.

If one has an opportunity to visit either of these canyons do not hesitate to. They are both well worth the money to experience at least once in my opinion.

Not to mention now, I think I am hooked on slot canyons.

Light Beam Gallery




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12
Foxy Long Bottoms

Foxy Long Bottoms - Apr 19, 2007 9:48 am - Hasn't voted

Beautiful!

Gorgeous and inspiring photos. Yet another fun place that I would like to explore.

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful!

Thank you very much. Definately worthwhile at least once. That whole area is absolutely gorgeous with so much to do.

mike_b

mike_b - Apr 19, 2007 9:49 am - Voted 10/10

beautiful

those pictures are really amazing

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: beautiful

Thank you

The Defiant One

The Defiant One - Apr 19, 2007 11:14 am - Hasn't voted

simply

incredible. now i must go there

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: simply

Thanks. It's definately worth the trip

vertx

vertx - Apr 19, 2007 1:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Amazing!

Beautiful pictures. On my "Must See List" now!

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing!

Thank you

julesblaidd

julesblaidd - Apr 19, 2007 2:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful !

Amazing photos !

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful !

Thanks

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Apr 19, 2007 4:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Bravo

Thanks. I'll have to make a special trip to AZ for Antelope, "the Wave" and a San Francisco Peaks climb.

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bravo

Thanks. My wife and I are going to give "The Wave" another shot. I am looking forward to a day off since the San Franciscos are right in my backyard. I will be climbing them quite a bit on my days off.

alex_vega

alex_vega - Apr 19, 2007 4:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice...

...reading and fantastic pictures. Nice job!

Cheers, Alex

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice...

Thank you very much

mow10

mow10 - Apr 19, 2007 5:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful Photos!

to anyone who is hooked on slot canyons, check out Steve Allen's "Technical Canyoneering Loops in Southeast Utah". I did the White Canyon Loop years ago, and a softer version of his Dark Canyon Loop. Canyoneering is the ultimate multielement wilderness adventure in my book.

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Photos!

Thanks. I will have to check out that book. I'm right there with you on canyoneering, it is yet another hobby to add to mountain climbing and hiking now.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Apr 19, 2007 6:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome Place!

Yes, it's definitely an awesome place. When I went I forgot my tripod in my truck, forcing me to take all hand-held shots for time I was in the canyon. Bummer, but I still managed to get a few good ones (on film, no less). Thanks for sharing your incredibly nice images, 2skinners--my favorite is the flowing sand.

--mark d.

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome Place!

Thank you. Looking at your pictures is always a pleasure. Tripod or not.

2skinners - Apr 19, 2007 9:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Shots...

Thanks Chief. I definately am still going to take your advice on paddling Lake Powell. It sounds like a great adventure, and to get away from the hoards of people would be truely great. It's sad because most are there for the same reason, but solitude is golden just as well.

2skinners - Apr 20, 2007 3:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: HOLY CRAP!

Thank you very much

Viewing: 1-20 of 38
12

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Antelope CanyonTrip Reports