April Trip: Blowdown & Crater Lake Mountains

April Trip: Blowdown & Crater Lake Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

April 5, 2009: Blowdown Mountain and Crater Lake Mountain

On March 4, 2009, I summited both Blowdown Mountain and Crater Lake Mountain, located in the "Mount Si NCRA" region of Washington State. However, views from those two mountain summits were obstructed due to lingering fog and an approaching snowstorm. Upon hearing about these two peaks, as well as reading my first trip report for them, fellow SPer "EastKing" contacted me to attempt a good-weather ascent of the two summits one month later, on April 5.

Neither of us expected decent views from either peak, but just the opposite turned out to be true. Also invited on the trip were three of EastKing's previous hiking companions: Aaron, Josh, and Lesley. Each member of our hiking group shared duties blazing our route across the snowy terrain of the infamous "Fire Road", Blowdown Mountain, and Crater Lake Mountain. During a long day full of great conversations and wonderful views, our hiking group successfully summited both peaks.

During the trip we heard multiple grouse making noises in the forests, saw hawks and bald eagles, and were even watched by a very large elk (hiding in thick forest-cover) shortly after beginning our initial ascent of the "Fire Road" route.

External Links

EastKing's trip report of this April 5, 2009, summit trip can be found here.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.