Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.99405°N / 107.00062°W
Additional Information County: Hinsdale&Saguache
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 13100 ft / 3993 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baldy Lejos and 13020Baldy Lejos and 13020
Baldy LejosBaldy Lejos
Baldy Lejos and unranked 13020 D are easy summits off Colorado Trail and Continental Divide trails in San Juan Mountains. Baldy Lejos is a ranked 13ers and seeked by peak baggers trying to complete all Colorado 13ers, 13020 is basically on the way to reach Baldy Lejos and it makes sense to ascend 286 feet to claim its summit. 300 feet is the distinction between ranked and unranked peak, so additional 14 feet would give 13020 an official ranked peak status. 

Why unnamed 13er 13020? There are many unnamed peaks in Colorado, there are simply just too many peaks. Colorado has 676 ranked 12ers = peaks > 12,000 feet (=3657 meters), 584 13ers = peaks over 13,000 feet (= 3962 meters),  and 54 14ers = peaks over 14,000 feet (= 4267 meters). And why D? There are several unnamed peaks of the same height, so the additions of letters. 

There is no established trail once you leave Colorado Trail and Continental Divide trail, but going is easy, mostly over a tundra. I did this hike in the fall and the scenery looked brown and bare, I would imagine summer with more green meadows and wildflowers a nicer time to explore this area. 

I consider these peaks relatively "boring summits" and added them to SP just to have a complete list of all 13ers in San Juan Mountains. 

Colorado Rank: 570 

Class: 2

Parent Lineage: 13111

Wilderness: La Garita

La Garita Wilderness spans 129,626 acres within Gunnison and Rio Grande National Forests. La Garita means "the overlook" in Spanish. It has only one fourteener San Luis Peak 14,014 feet. Many trailheads open approximately 175 miles of trails. About 27 miles of the Colorado Trail and Continental Divide National Scenic Trail follow the divide through La Garita Wilderness. 

Nearby Peaks:

  • Unnamed 13020 D        0.77 miles
  • Unnamed 13111           1.86 miles
  • Unnamed 13034           3.30 miles
  • San Luis Peak               3.8 miles

Getting There

Marked posts Marked posts along Colorado Trail and Continental Divide Trail
13020 D 13020 D summit and Baldy Lejos in the distance
West Willow Creek Trailhead: located only about 9 miles north of historical town of Creede. Drive to Creede via CO 149. turn right onto Main Street and drive north through the town to join Loma Ave/Road 503. This section of the road is well maintained 2 WD dirt road. At 4.8 miles continue straight on 503 at a large intersection with Bachelor Road. Just past the intersection there should be a sign for Equity Mine. At 7.1 miles turn left on 503, signed for West Willow Creek Trailhead, and the from here you need 4WD vehicle. At 8.2 miles the road switchbacks down and crosses a creek. And at 8.7 miles you reach the trailhead. There are few campsites, and a small stream, no toilet facilities. The trail is starts here, and provides connection to Colorado Trail. 

Route

Follow the trail as it gently ascents up towards San Luis pass and once at the pass you will get a view of this peak. I followed Colorado Trail towards the 13111 peak and in the saddle below 13111 I left the trail and headed north over the tundra towards 13020 D and Baldy Lejos. There are many false summits, no established trail (occasional deer trail here and there) and a few rock cliffs sections easy to navigate. 

Summit of 13020 had nothing - I did built a small summit cairn and left a register there. Summit of Baldy Lejos had a cairn, I added summit register as well. Return the same way. 

It makes sense to add unnamed 13111 peak to this hike since it is just there. You can make larger loops, my included also unnamed 12580

Red Tape

Hiking, climbing, camping are all free. Wilderness rules do apply. Leave No Trace have seven standards: 

  1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
  2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
  3. Dispose of Waste Properly
  4. Leave What You Find
  5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
  6. Respect Wildlife
  7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors

When to Climb

Summer and early autumn are the easiest. Winter means a longer approach and avalanche danger. Early spring still has a lot of snow and no access to the 4WD West Willow Creek TH.

Camping

Wilderness camping is available just below the peak and along Colorado Trail. I camped at the West Willow Creek Trailhead. Basically, you can camp anywhere in the National Forest. 

External Links