Baranco de Tinarajo

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.33324°N / 14.07739°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Montaña Carbon and Morro del CuraMontaña Carbon seen from the end of the Morro del Cura traverse

While the hike to Montaña Carbon from Pajara was not advertized in any of the guidebooks we consulted, the leaflet, which accompanied our Kompass map for the island (see Maps & Books Section on the main page) suggested it as wonderfully panoramic. Due to Kalima conditions I can't confirm this though later views of the mountain from different angles seem to do.

The hike to Montaña Carbon can be divided in four sections: a road hike from Pajara through the suburbs in its south, a flat dirt road hike through Baranco de Tinarajo, a hike along the developing ridge between two branches (still a dirt road) of the creek and the panoramic ridge traverse across Morro del Cura towards Montaña Carbon. While the former two sections are little fun the latter two make up for it. In summer the area is very hot and dry and the ascent should be done in the early morning hours. In winter, on the other hand, you can witness wonderful flower meadows on the ridge.

Getting There

The main page already details the itinerary in its Getting There Section.

Route Description

Morro del CuraMorro del Cura seen from the ridge between the two branches of Baranco de Tinarajo

  • General:
      - Start altitude: 200m
      - Summit altitude: 606m
      - Prevailing exposure: N and S
      - Type: Hike
    nbsp; - Protection: None
  • Effort: 700m
  • Power: 1 - Hike
  • Psyche: 1 - Easy
  • Difficulty: 1 - Easy
  • Orientation: 2 - No path or trail between Morro del Cura and Montaña Carbon

    From the road between Tunije and Pajara, right at the start of the latter village follow the signs for Baranco de Tinarajo into the valley. The Pajara sports field is in that area and signs also direct there. There are only few spots where you can safely park your car so leaving it at the road entrance is a good idea. The road for 1.5 km leads into the valley through a residential area until it end right after a large two storey building.

    Here asphalt turns to dirt, the roads bend right, then left again and finally leads down into the dried out creek bed. It leaves behind several irrigation reservoirs and in two cases roads lead off to the left. Though these roads appear to run directly at Montaña Carbon, stay on the main road through the creek bed, which winds a bit before running straight southward. It heads for a building at the base of a ridge, which separates two of the branches of the creek.
    Morro del Cura
    Morro Tabaiba
    Baranco de Tinarajo

    Here the road leaves the creek bed and instead follows the ridge. Views towards the Betancuria Range develop as the road heads for a slightly pronounced saddle, to the left (east) of which the further route becomes visible: the broad ridge of Morro del Cura which more and more hides the real target, Montaña Carbon.
    Moro del Cura
    Baranco de Tinarajo
    Morro del Cura north slopes
    Wildflowers

    From the saddle turn left onto the ridge, which is rather steep in its firet part. There is no real path though erosion patterns indicate, where you have to go. Some of the ruts are real deep while beside them the ground is astonishingly soft. After 20 minutes a shoulder is reached, from where the indication of a path heads for the north slopes of Morro de la Cura, bypassing the summit. Before the path leaves the ridge you come across the remainder of an old farmstead. All that remains are the walls which protected a small garden against the winds on the shoulder.
    Montaña CarbonMontaña Carbon seen from the saddle which separates it from Morro del Cura

    The traverse across the north slopes is easy but before you reach the next saddle you have to cross a rocky section. Moreover a cattle fence comes up from the valley, forcing you across the rocks towards the ridge and onward to the steep south face. A bit of rockhopping gets you to the saddle and beyond, where the cattle fence now follows the west ridge of Montaña Carbon. There's not much room on the ridge beside the fence so that you are forced down and back again. Right before the summit, the fence retreats northward and the remainder is a stroll towards the round-topped summit with its marker pillar.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear - good boots and lots of water, especially in summer.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.