How to reach San CarloSan Carlo in Val Bavona is the starting point to rach Capanna Basodino by foot or by cable car.
Starting from Locarno drive in the direction of Vallemaggia. Once you are in the Vallemaggia Valley, you can continue via Avegno - Maggia - Cevio - Bignasco to San Carlo/Val Bavona.
Nice route mixed glacier - rocks.
- Starting point: Capanna Basodino (CAS), 1856 meters, reaching by foot (two hours from San Carlo - Val Bavona) or by cable car and then 5 minutes walk
- Unevenness from the Capanna to the peak: 1420 meters.
- Difficulty: f+/PD-
- Time required: 5 hours up - 4 hours down
- Equipment: ice axe, crampons, rope
- Best season: from June to September, is better not find snow on the final ridge.
From Capanna Basodino walk through the route that leading to Zott Lake (20 minutes - signals from the Capanna).
Then pass at the left side of the lake and begin to go up at the left of the river (signals red). Cross the river and go to meeting the moraine on a easy ridge.
You will find stairs of rocks that some year ago were under the glacier. You arrive at the right side of the glacier and beging to climb doing a traverse from right to left reaching the second nevaio. Here, up until the ridge and after 30 minutes you will reach the peak. The passages on the ridge are not technical but expost so is better utilize the rope.
(CAS section Locarno)
Altitude: 1856 m s. m.
Site: Valle Bavona-Robiei
Map 1:25.000 : CNS 1271 Basodino
Coordinates : 682.650 / 143.700
Open: All over the year - Beds: 70 (In winter 30)
Fam. Marzia and Dario Martinoli
CH 6781 Bedretto
Summer: directly at the hut
Other periods : by the hut's manager
Phone +41/91/869 18 54